Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Your room is huge……and wow! I’m admiring everything about it…..including your helper 🐕. Love your Tennessee waltz quilt! 💕🧵
    looks like you’ve taken over your front room…..lots of natural light coming through all those windows, a fireplace, a design wall,….room for everything, without looking cluttered…..a dream room! Have loads of fun in your new space! 💕💕💕

Comment

It's actually a small store front. We closed the store 2 years ago and it's been sitting vacant. I decided to use it as long as I'm paying taxes and utilities for it. The back portion (through the barn door) has a half bath, kitchenette, and DH is setting up his woodworking tools back there. I love having all the space, but do not like having to drive to sew.

Comment

Looks like a perfect place to embrace creativity. Love your helper too!
        A bucket of sunshine from the East Coast FL!
        Like sands through the hour glass-sew are the days of our lives!

Comment

I am definitely jealous of the space! Store front or not lol. Any thoughts of turning it into a small quilt shop? Or offer lessons? Quilting circles?

Comment

I'd love to do something with other quilters in the space, but we'll be listing the building this spring, so I'm just enjoying it while I have it. After it sells, back to the basement with me.

Comment

Seriously envious of how much room you have to move around. Even with all that, you have plenty of room to teach, sewing circles…etc. bummer you are selling but I’d want my hobbie close, too.
              "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I cleaned up my desk area and bookcase where I mostly sew. I haven't decided whether to move the plates. I do need to replace a wall clock that fell. This time I will put up with a nail, not 3M tape.

CleanTable.jpg Clean-Bookcase.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

Such pretty rooms!
                  Maria
                  From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

Hello All! Love looking at your sewing rooms. I'm trying to decide how I want my sewing table. For the table ends I have refinished an old Domestic Treadle machine base and a Singer Treadle machine base. They will be the supports for the ends of the table. Where I am having difficulty making a decision is if I want a cutout to "sink" the machine so the bed of it is flush with the table top or not. From the pictures I notice some of you have done this and others have not. Please tell me what you like, or dislike about "sinking" the machine and if you wish you had done this or not. Thank you! Penny

Comment

I got back and forth on wishing I had done it and glad I didnt... but then again I have a few different machines I use on a fairly regular basis and then the extra storage from being able to lift the entire table top would all be lost and I use that a lot too, as well as turning the entire top into an ironing board. But then when I'm getting down to those last seams or I'm binding a quilt I'm right back to wishing it was sunk in so I could more easily control the quilt. And then I remind myself of the oversized cutting area and ironing area and all the underneath storage and kind of suck it up. Kind of wish I had a room that was twice the width of the one I'm using, so I could have both the large cutting and ironing desk and then a large desk for dropping in my machine.

So I would say thats really what it comes down to, if you have a seperate cutting area, I would sink the machine especially if you work on large projects like bed size quilts often, and truly if you do any kind of free motion quilting with a standard sewing machine.

If you don't have another area you can cut in, I would keep the machine free, invest in a large cutting mat and maybe a cart to slide the machine out of the way rarher than setting it on the floor when you need the extra cutting space or even ironing space since if its a wooden top you can easily cover it to make it an ironing surface. You can do a lot of cutting without moving the sewing machine and reserve those moves for when you need to cut out large pieces like a dress pattern or to square up your quilts. Or when ironing yardage, or quilt tops.

Comment

For everyone who is thinking of setting up or re-organizing your sewing space, you might want to consider the ergonomics of it. We had a speaker at our recent guild meeting to talk about height and spacing of your sewing machine, pressing station and cutting area. She has interesting resources on her website which are free to download for personal use.

Her name is Rose Parr of www.healthyquilting.com She was also interviewed by Karen Brown of Just Get it Done Quilts - and her YouTube interview can be found on her site.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• marsharini
                          marsharini commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Some good information there on her website. Thanks for sharing.

• GuitarGramma
                          GuitarGramma commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm going to check that website! Thank you for posting it. One of the things I did to help with ergonomics was to invest in two of Martelli's height-adjustable tables, one for cutting and the other for my serger and cover stitch machines. The cutting table, in particular, makes SUCH a difference in my fatigue levels.

I have huge changes in my sewing space! The new lighting is in and my new frame/machine is set up. I had to re-work the floor plan, the new layout has fewer steps between items I use all of the time. I'll post more pictures when the boxes are all gone and the floor is clean again.
                        new machine.jpg

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                          SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's a great set up -- nice and bright and plenty of space to do a happy dance when you finish a quilt. Enjoy your space!

• chelea
                          chelea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh what a wonderful sewing space you have! It's so bright and spacious. Wishing you many years of happy sewing in there!

• Namastarz
                          Namastarz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh so envious of all that space!!! It's just screaming come and sew!

Great room to work in. Love to see the quilts on your walls.
                        Mary Lynn Ontario Canada

Comment

The building is divided in half, I have the storefront part. In the back we remodeled the half bath and added a kitchenette. I mentioned to hubby that the rest of the back would be perfect for his for his pool table, darts, a bar, whatever. He could even move his beer making over there. IF we don't sell it. That part is now is painted, paneled, and has camo curtains, it's turning into a man cave. It might have been sneaky of me, but I won and get to keep my studio. Woo Hoo!!!! The only person not happy is the realtor that wanted desperately to list it. tee hee.

Comment

• Namastarz
                            Namastarz commented
                            Editing a comment
                            That is so amazing!!! So happy you were able to convince your DH the "praticality" of keeping it 😆.
                        Working...
                        X