WIP - February 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - February 2021

So week 1 of February is soon over, and what have you tackled?

This week I wanted to get the 2nd quilt finished for a GF on the LA. What a chore? I'm really not sure how I even got these to do. I tell everyone I don't quilt for money, but she wanted my opinion and said she would bring the quilts to show me. She showed up with the tops, batting and backing and said quilt like you want, I trust you. UHHH -- that was last fall, and she said she wasn't in a rush. I don't like to have things unfinished around -- just bugs me. So in January I did the first one, and this week I loaded the other. I had to cut and make the backing, the batting was too small, so I picked up another batting she had, and the top -- well, lets just say if I had to charge her the going rate, she would have been shocked. Well they are done, and turned out beautiful. She did pay me, more that the price I quoted. I didn't want to charge her initially as I don't want it to become habit. The money will go towards more quilting supplies (like I need more, right).

I also quilted another top, made by another member of my Victoria quilt group. Back is flannel, pattern Flutterbys.

Heather'sBatikFront.jpg Heather'sDresden.jpg VQC-22back.jpg VQC-22.jpg

This week I also made a top from the 3 yard book, but made larger with 5 yards. I haven't decided what backing I will use, so I will hang it while I work on other projects. My neighbor has given me some indication of his preferences for a blue / white star quilt that I am making him. This was supposed to be from my DH to him, as he made him a beautiful oak clock last fall. Well, DH has not been sewing because of his back, so I will start it.

Churn dash-top.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Suzanne ~ What is the pattern of the first pic -- the brightly colored fabrics that sort of look woven. I love that! The 2nd quilt is beautiful, too. Hope your DH's back gets better soon. Too bad he can't have the chiropractic treatments.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      The first one -- no pattern for this -- but sure one exists. It's simple -- you take a focus (black) 2 1/2" square and add a 4 1/2" strip leaving open seam, you do the same for all other rectangles and last one, you close seam. The block should finish at approx 6" I think.
      The Dresden plate made by my GF is the wonky one -- some blocks she had 17 strips, others 18-19. They overlap or were stretched out of shape. Close up pictures are not flattering at all. The center circle is cut to cover the plate and centered on a background fabric.
      DH is a bit better today, found a chair he can sit in without causing too much pain.

I just saw that 3 yd pattern on youtube yesterday. I really like your color placement. Using 5 yards, how big did it end up?

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      Its just shy of a twin size -- really big lap quilt. I used 4 colours as I only had 3/4 yd each of turquoise and green. So roughly 41/2 - 5 yard. the book and patterns show for sizing up using 2 yds of 3 colours up to 4 yds.

Wow Suzanne! I have the pattern on the first quilt, of course I will remember the name later! Your quilting is beautiful!! but, then all your quilts are spectacular! I'm going to look that name up!
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

got it! it' woven square a partial seam pieced! so easy alter size if you want!!
      Squares Wrap Multi OnPoint.png Squares Wrap 1.png
      Last edited by ktdid; February 8, 2021, 09:21 AM.
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I like this version better. The center block and square is much bigger and the colored fabrics shine more, IMO.

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        This is how I make my quilt borders when I don't want to mitre.

You deserve a fun reward after all that work. They are beautiful quilts and I'm sure your touch made them extra special. I can't imagine handling that situation but you did so with grace.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your comments. I must have been too complimentary as my friend called me yesterday to tell me she was starting on another Dresden plate pattern. I casually mentioned, yes,-- they can be tricky -- you have to line up the quarter circles to the center -- she said -- oh, that's ok, my mother didn't worry about being precise (yikes) so I'm not either.

• KarenC
        KarenC commented
        Editing a comment
        Suzanne, I hope your friend doesn't come back to you with a wonky quilt to quilt for her. Mine aren't perfect, but a least I try to improve with each one.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        KarenC - I really hope not. If she does, I will look at it with her and ask her to fix seams and press it well. I will also look at the backing and ask her to square it properly and have at least 4" all around. One I had to add edges, the other one, I had to cut off 2 1/2 yards.

This past week, I quilted another VQC top and dropped 3 of them to group leader, and picked up 3 more to do. The top was made by another member. I used the meander bubbles.

Saturday, my guild held a virtual Sew Day. I got started on my #1 project - quilt for our neighbor. This is what I got done so far -- there are 2 shades of blue which I need to pay attention not to screw up the order. So far so good. I need to cut more fabric as the pattern was only for one block.

VQC-25.jpg VQC-25closeup.jpg Carson-WIP1.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        They look great Suzanne!

Great job! Looks fantastic

Comment

All of your quilts are beautiful!! The 3/yd quilts are so clever... It’s good that friend paid more for the work... I can’t imagine not wanting to improve in skill set...but, to each their own, I guess.
        "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I haven't been as much to my sewing room this month. Mostly because DH has injured his back and hasn't been able to help with any household chores, the few he did. Worst is not being able to clear the snow, and we have had a lot this month. I have used the snow blower more this month, than I have in my lifetime.

Last Saturday I went down to sewing room and made all the blocks I think I will need for the hunter start top. I put them on the design wall, and I am happy. I sewed the first 2 rows together, then #3. I screwed up turning around the blocks as I sewed them. It will need to be un-done before I continue. I hope to work on it today, even though we are expecting more snow this afternoon.

Saturday, my guild is hosting a 2nd Sew Day this month, and I am sewing, come hell or high water.

Carson-WIP2.jpg

Comment

• ktdid
            ktdid commented
            Editing a comment
            I love everything you make!! but the hunter's star has always been a favorite, did you do traditional piecing? or like the one in Jenny's tutorial? it's really pretty!!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
            Editing a comment
            It was a free download for the block on Fat Quarter Shop. It's for 1/4 of the star and 4 together add up to 18" block.

I added an inner and outer border to the Hunter Star top and its done. Now I am on the hunt for the flannel back -- its Woolies or Woolies II blue/gray that I've seen.

On Friday, I made a sample block from the 2 1/2"HST scraps from above quilt. I pulled fabric from my stash called mini Strawberry thief. Both the colours of the HST are in this fabric. Saturday was a guild sew day so I made 14 blocks, 7 in each of the blues. I will work on this next month

Strawberry thief WIP.jpg I

Comment

I have that morris collection of fabric..love it!!

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              I have odds and sods of yardage from various Morris collections. I'm trying to get them to play nice together.

There's a new LQS that carries all Morris lines of fabric and gift items. They also carry a nice selection of fabrics. Given that it opened a few years ago, the owner is going slow in expanding.
              Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; Today, 12:19 PM.
          Working...
          X