Join the new M* Forum Group - 2021 Fantastic Finishing Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join the new M* Forum Group - 2021 Fantastic Finishing Club

Next year's group 2021 Fantastic Finishing Club has now been created under the Groups icon - so I invite everyone to consider joining and start thinking of your UFO list of quilts, projects that you would like to finish. I suggest creating a thread by your forum name - such as "JoeLouis' list". I've belonged to the yearly groups and it's helped to keep me focused throughout the year, and only got distracted a few times (ok, a lot). Here's how the group works.

Do you have some UFOs (UnFinished Objects) that you want to finish? Are you having a hard time choosing what to finish next, or are you just not feeling motivated? Do you have some specific goals you want to complete in 2021? This group is for you! We have a fun way to get those projects done in 2021.

Here is how it works.

First, you create a list, numbered from 1 - 12, of 1) things you want to finish; 2) OR projects you want to do; 3) OR a combination of 1 and 2. Then, you post your list to this group. (You can edit and change your list at any time.)

Every month, this group will publish a random number between 1 - 12. We will each work on that number from our list. If you prefer to do your list in a particular order, you can certainly do it that way as well. When you have finished your project, please post a picture here as well.

We’re here to support each other. It’s amazing how knowing what project to tackle helps to motivate us to finish what we start.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

This Group helped me finish quite a few quilts this year. Even if you don't have UFOs, it's a fun way to set some goals and get lots of projects finished. Thanks Suzanne for taking over as Group leader. I'm looking forward to another productive year.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      You are absolutely right Michele. Somehow, it's also a gentle reminder of what we hope to get done.

Thanks for organizing this Suzanne! I just joined. I joined very late this year but got a few things knocked out.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      That's great. I think it puts the <list> in my face, which I need to get anything done.

I want to join!!

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! You're so right!! Yesterday alone..I completed an apron, barbie quilt, 2 coasters, 4 bowl cozies, mask, 2 can cozies and a table runner. I'll be sewing everyday to get Christmas and birthdays done this week.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      My goodness Rachel! That would take me all year lol

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I tend to do a whole day of cutting out things that need to get done when I need to rest...I do it sitting down. Then I piece quite a few projects by thread color...I'm not a fan of having to switch threads so often. I'll post pics at lunch. I have 4 table runners plus more smaller items to get done this week. I think I planned too much but I'm determined to get these gifts done!!

Thanks for the invite Suzanne!

Comment

Oh, I wish I could join, have to much on my plate right now, maybe later. Thanks for the post Suzanne
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Remember there's no police -- some people have assigned needleworks to a number. You can always join in anytime.

I joined, but now how do I start my list within that group?

Comment

• chelea
        chelea commented
        Editing a comment
        Look for the "+ New Topic" button at the top of the lists, click on that and you will be able to start your own list.

Suzanne, thank you for leading the UFO group this year and also Kimsophia for all her support in this very complicated and stressful year. Although this year I have not managed to finish as many things as I wanted (the masks have prevented me from doing it) I hope that next year I will be able to finish something else

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I dont think its critical or mandatory that we are expected to finish all our projects/quilt numbers. The important thing is to keep working on them, when we can and for as long as we can, so they don't feel un-loved and cast aside. Life can get in the way, but eventually those issues will step aside.

That sounds like a fun idea! I look forward to seeing everyone’s projects!

Comment

This is great -- I see a number of you have joined the group. For those who haven't yet, its not too late. It's never too late, even if you join half-way through the year. Put your list together and name the topic by your name.

We know life happens, and for some putting your list on paper can be stressful. I promise, no stress and this is about working at our own speed. Some of us are sprinters and others slow but sure.

Comment

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm the master at finishing tops but slow as a snail sandwiching to quilt. I keep blaming it on I need a roll of batting!! Lol

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          That's ok Rachel. Last winter (Jan-Mar) I made 7-8 tops, but didn't get around to quilting most of them until late summer-fall. I still have 2 to be done and I know I will only tackle them in 2021.
          I used the 'not right size' or type of batting. I just got a motherload of batting from various places, different sizes and types - cotton/wool, wool, 80/20 and bamboo. No excuses. I have a roll to finish, but prefer to use pre-cut sizes.

• Momofmonsters5
          Momofmonsters5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I love piecing and quilting but hate to sandwhich. I'm going to buy a stand up frame for my longarm next year. I know then I'll quilt everything. I used a friends a few years ago and was productive. That's great Suzanne, I know you must love your set up!!

I just joined! I will get my list together and post later today, I think. After I get my baking done. Question though. If you pick a number to work on that month and I have already completed that one, what do I do? Do I replace that item number when I complete it with another item? Oh boy, I can see that I may accomplish a lot more this year!
        Carlie

Comment

• justLyn
          justLyn commented
          Editing a comment
          Following the number is not mandatory. You can work on them in your own personal order, or if you want to follow the number drawn for each month, you could add some fill-in projects at the end of your list to choose from when you finish something "ahead of schedule". As Suzanne said - there are no quilt police here. Thank goodness!

Thanks Lyn!
        Carlie

Comment

Count me in! I am reminded of that ad for the other white meat that reminded people to eat pork. I have been tied up with projects in one of the other needle crafts- knitting. Lately that has not been as satisfying as it could be and I am ready to jump back to needle and thread.
          Making a list would probably crank me up even more with semi-guilt over so many projects, so little time. I might start an unfinished tote. It would be a little like an archaeological dig only backwards. I could layer the projects and shift them around at will. I just bought some three gallon ziplocks that might help me organize them.
          We are spending our first winter in some time in snow country. The cold days coming (sooner than we'd like) will keep us in. That may that be a motivation to do more than drink hot tea and read mysteries!
          Thank you for starting this. I think it'll be just what I need! And it sounds like fun too.

Comment

Check the thread under the GROUPS - January's number has been posted.

Comment

Working...
            X