WIP - Nov 1-30, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - Nov 1-30, 2020

Wow -- October whizzed by and we're already into November (winter for many). I think this colder weather has had us getting all our yardwork done before the snow hits and we can't do any more clean up. Looks like we are almost ready to hibernate, well almost.

The last week of October, I was like an energizer bunny. I made 2 twin size tops xmassy/winter fabrics for 2 grand-daughters. I found the perfect flannel backs this weekend, have washed it, and ready to piece it. Then on to loading and quilting. On Sunday, I quilted 2 VQC tops on the LA while I was made labels on DH's embroidery machine for quilts I finished this year. Then they can be put away to decide who will get them. One of them is a king-size for us. I have also started making another quilt top with Merrily Gingiber panel and fabric I have. I have a lot of xmas / winter fabrics, which I hope to reduce in size. I'm in a Just Get It Done mood. I also added the fabric border on another 15 tea towels that I made this spring. I also packaged up packages and box sets of baby bibs, burp & change pads and flannel blankets sets. Since there are no craft shows this fall, I have been selling to friends and family who call.

This week I will probably quilt a few more VQC tops and finish designing the Gingiber top. I have no pattern, so I am planning as I sew. I will probably have enough small panel blocks to make another one. For some reason, I bought a second panel, not remembering that I already had one.

What's in your sewing room? Design wall? Cutting table? Sewing space? Please share with us.

xmas-mint.jpg xmas-red-closeup.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Suzanne...You really were the Energizer Bunny. I love getting a lot of loose ends tied up at the same time. I tend to work on several projects at the same time. It sounds like you have a busy week ahead.

sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I do, and I pray for good health so that I may continue to produce.

See if I can upload the 3 lap quilts I have been working on for my friends that I used to work with. frog lap.jpg lap hour glass.jpg lap double slice.jpg

The frog is a panel that I just added too.
    Last edited by Mimi_Howard; November 3, 2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      I have some of that blue, green and black fabric. I love it, but cant decide what to dod with it. Maybe keep it in larger size not to lose the pattern.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Love these, Mimi! Thanks for sharing.

• Momofmonsters5
      Momofmonsters5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the frogs panel!! I have fabric from the second to make my daughter a table runner.

My Scrappy Trips quilt is about to become another cover for quilting, I am also making a cardigan for my husband and some microwaveable bowls and this week my order for Christmas fabrics to make masks for the holidays will arrive, according to the masks will be a great season with us, and in my country it is mandatory to wear them from the moment we leave home, they are already part of our day to day

Comment

I am fmq two Christmas quilts soon, one has been started on the Juki and the other has some ditch stitching done. Afterwards there is a moose quilt that needs sandwiching. Nothing in the piecing line up at the moment.🙁
      I am also working on repairing a Santa whose shoes and pants fell apart.😱 Under the fake leather shoes are resin shoes that will probably be painted black. I need to buy some green velvet [today?] to remake his pants. I did sew up his leg that had stuffing coming out, poor guy, no anesthesia.😅 I have had him a very long time and hope he can be saved.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I'm curious how you will quilt your moose quilt. DH has a outdoorsy quilt that I finished for him in March, but he is adamant about quilting himself.

• Claire Hallman
        Claire Hallman commented
        Editing a comment
        My plan is to quilt an outline around the "pictures" from the moose panel which were cut apart and scattered around on the top. I will most likely do continuous curves on the 9 patches but all that may change when I actually sit down to do it.

• Momofmonsters5
        Momofmonsters5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Suzanne I've done a couple using pantos. One was trees and the ogher a bear moose tree motif.

This past week I have quilted 2 VQC tops on LA so far -- here's #16. The top was made by another member. I still have to take picture of #17. I also cut two kits for 2 VQC quilts I will make. I also embroidered 3 labels for quilts I finished this summer. I will sew these on the quilts in the evening. I have also cut up more scraps - I'm not letting these accumulate.

VQC #16.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
        Hillbillyhike commented
        Editing a comment
        So cheery and bright!

Suzanne, I don't know how you get all that energy! everything you do is always so wonderful! someone needs to get you an "Energizer Bunny" Pin! Is your mom still in remission from her memory loss, I pray she is. Blessings to you!
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

• ktdid
        ktdid commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm so sorry Suzanne! I know exactly how you feel about loosing it! You're one of those I include that will not be forgotten for your kindness. If I could but only take your pain.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Katie -- you are such a kindred soul sister. When I was 11, I lost my grandmother, and that was the most pain I had ever experienced. I did not adapt well to her loss, lost my hair and other issues. I had to deal with this and find something that helped -- for me, it was sewing. I didn't realize how much until later in life when I had a major depression. That is how I cope with pain, frustration and loss and learned to not only survive, but thrive. Now it is a joy to have learned to quilt, so I can hopefully provide some comfort to others. I can't take away their pain, but hopefully by my action, they know that someone cares.

• ktdid
        ktdid commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll send you a PM in day or so, I lost my Grandma at 7 she was my mother. I feel for you, believe that!!

Suzanne...I wish I had half the energy you do! I am a sloth these days and miss the fitness level and energy I had before getting sick. You have gott3n so much done...I am in awe!!

I started on some Christmas hexies this week. I am making gifts for friends. I made a set of small Christmas countdown hexies for our tree, and am working on some ornaments. The rest will go into a candy jar for decoration.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
        See if I can upload the 3 lap quilts I have been working on for my friends that I used to work with. frog lap.jpg lap hour glass.jpg lap double slice.jpg

The frog is a panel that I just added too.
        These are so cute! Love them all!
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Here's the picture of VQC quilts #16 & #17. The tops were done by another member. but I quilted them on my LA. They take about 3-4 hours to press flannel back & front, load on LA, quilt and trim for binding. Then I pass them to another member who sews on the binding and label.

VQC #16.jpg VQC #17-back.jpg VQC #17.jpg

Comment

Here's another VQC top that I quilted, made by another member of our group.
            VQC #13.jpg

I also quilted the first of two quilts for two grand-daughters. Pirouette bears, I think is the panels I used, but I bordered them differently as well as the backs.
            This is the first one quilted with a snowflake and swirly wind design, The binding is attached. I just need to do the 2 labels when I'm done with the second.

Winter 1- front.jpg Winter 1- closeup.jpg Winter1-back.jpg

Now on to piece the back for the second one, and get moving.

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              Thlse are so cute Suzanne!

This is my WIP for today. Soon after my daughter became pregnant, she saw this paper doll quilt on Facebook and sent me the link. Well since she gave birth to a beautiful daughter of her own 3 years ago, I thought it was time to oblige and make this. I hope to stitch down the body tomorrow and then begin on clothes for her. The bottom border has two pockets for storing the clothes. Paperdoll Phase1.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              That is so neat!! What little girl wouldn't love that!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              This is so cute. I think she will love it.

Everyone’s projects look amazing! I‘be procrastinated posting because I’ve felt likeI’ve been marching in place this past month. I finally got some issues ironed out, and finished quilting the two quilts I had sandwiched in early October. One is washed and ready to go; the other just needs a binding.

I also had fun experimenting with the embroidery functions on my machine for the first time and made personalized gift bags for quilts heading to my sisters kids for Christmas. Yeah!

oh, and I finally quilted a Christmas runner that I’ve had pieced for a couple years!
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Editing a comment
              Wow, simply stunning. I love the blue white quilt. Its given me ideas. Thats a brilliant idea for the gift bags. Re-usable. Is the plan that they return it empty every year?

Lots of work done on my Gingiber top this week. It taking a little longer than usual as I am fitting the top and bottom sections so they line up with the center blocks and corner blocks. Its tedious but fun and inspiring. I'm not certain if I will put a flannel or cotton back, but if you ask my daughter, she would say flannel, she is always cold. I hope to have finished for xmas, but if not, I will show them the top. So that is my priority, oh and also making aprons for the grandkids, masks and bags for my GF. Oh shoot, I better get going.

Gingiber-WIP-1.jpg Gingiber-WIP-2.jpg Gingiber-WIP-5.jpg Gingiber-WIP-4.jpg

Comment

• Hillbillyhike
              Hillbillyhike commented
              Editing a comment
              It's wonderful! Such intricate applique. That must have been a challenge to cut and fuse! Flannel sounds like a good choice if your daughter is always cold.
          Working...
          X