WIP - October 1-31, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - October 1-31, 2020

So another month is rolling in. What are you all working on?

I know many of you do Christmas projects. For sure this year is different for me as all indoor craft shows are cancelled. So the usual October push to make more stock is not happening this year. That's ok. I am so much a creature of habit, I am still making things, which are classic and timeless, so I will be ready when the craft fairs come back.

This week I quilted another top that I made this summer. Its the M* 9 patch and hourglass pattern. The fabric is Spring Bouquet. The back is lime green flannel that I bought a few years ago. I pieced the batting as I had large scraps, and this quilt finished at 67 x 74". It doesn't have anyone name on it yet. I am really learning a lot (by making a lot of mistakes) on the new LA.

What's up for you?

SpringBouquet-back.jpg

SpringBouquet.jpg

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

That's a nice color combination. Looks great!

Comment

Very pretty, love the color combo!
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Love everything about it.

Comment

So very pretty, I love most things green.

Comment

Now that I have finished my hanging gardens quilt, this weekend I plan to make pillowcases to go with it, and do the label. Not expecting much sewing time for the remainder of the year, excepton weekends.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
              Editing a comment
              I am going to check around to see if you posted a picture of your quilt.

• KarenC
              KarenC commented
              Editing a comment
              Suzanne, it's titled perfectly imperfect

That's so pretty! I finally finished my Kaffee hot pink quilt for my gd and got around to embroidering by hand the quilt label for the quilt I made during the pandemic but still need to sew it onto the quilt. Made a new wall hanging for sewing room and started quilting it with the Baptist Fan stencil. Got waylaid when we got bedbugs at our house, ugh!

Comment

This week I loaded 3 VQC tops and quilted them on the LA. I decided to use more simple designs to get them done quicker. I found a few designs that take less than 5 mins per row (max 4 rows when loaded on the length). Now the loading is what takes the most time, but at least these use less thread and less than 1 bobbin per quilt. These are approx 50-55 x 70-75. I am dropping them off to our group leader this morning, where she will sew on the binding, then pass along to a lovely older lady, who does the most beautiful invisible stitching. I will also pick up 10 flannel backings to wash and press. I have the backing & batting loaded on the LA, and need to pick up some more tops. I am going to try and barrel through our backlog of tops, which seems to grow as fast as I can quilt them. Last week, one lady turned in 14 tops she made since March, another one turned in 8 finished quilts. And so our members have not been sitting idle.

UPDATE - October 9 -- loaded & quilted 2 more VQC quilts today.
              Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; October 8, 2020, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Suzanne...another gorgeous quilt!! I love your designs and colour choices very much. I finished mama's wresth yesterday and hate it lol. I'm too embarrassed to show it, so I won't. I will take it apart and use the leaves if can. I glue gunned it to get it done quickly. Bad decision!
                I started FMQ my Seeds of Gratitude quilt last night. I want to get it done and hung by Thanksgiving this weekend.
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Don't be your worst critic. I'm certain the wreath is beautiful. After all it's made with love, and I am certain that your mom will treasure it.

• Hillbillyhike
                  Hillbillyhike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was trying to be positive Suzanne. I fixed the wreath a it. Took it over to mama's today and told her to be honest. She doesn't want/like it either lol. I'm going to take it apart amd try something else. I do like th fabric leaves themselves!

I got a new machine a few weeks ago. The lady that services My sewing machine told me I’d outgrown my Brilliant after I put 1.5 million stitches on it since March. I’ve found that that machine doesn’t tolerate much more than that between services before it really starts to act up (I was using it for piecing and FMQ -have completed 6 quilts since March).

I lucked out with a very lightly used Solaris well under market price, and my see-steady table for it just came this past week. In the meantime, I’ve pieced a couple quilts, and worked some more on the EPP project I started this summer. I now have two quilt tops pin-basted, ready to go. I hope to get some FMQ done soon, and have dreamed up several projects using the embroidery attachment for more involved quilting patterns.
                7AC84608-04A3-4A58-BCE4-3E1C9E10E39B.jpeg C327E0FE-1130-4D75-9F7F-F0EF016B92C5.jpeg

Comment

• nativetexan
                  nativetexan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh hexagons and serious diamonds, not triangles. I love them both!!! both quilts that is!

• Rhonda K
                  Rhonda K commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty colors in the quilt tops. Congrats on your new machine. You will love the I Q functions for quilting. Did you see the new magnetic hoop for the machines?

• Mdtrimble
                  Mdtrimble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rhonda K - a friend of mine had recommended the magnetic hoops, and I can’t wait to try out the I-Q features on my new Solaris. I purchased some quilting stitches from EmbroideryOnline, and have a panel that I’m going to use to play with the features of my new machine. I’m really excited to try things out; I just want to finish these two quilts for my niece & nephew for ChChristmas, then I can start playing.

Beautiful work!
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Well I have been dabling with quilting using custom designs for borders, corners, setting triangles and blocks. I used a quilt top that I made this winter and I had purchased a large piece of flannel (shirting) fabric 60" wide at VV. I also decided to piece together all my leftover pieces of Tuscany Wool. The quilt is approx 54 x 74. I loaded the backing and batting lengthwise on the frame. Then loaded the top. I was about to roll the quilt after doing a row, when I realized that the back and batting had a lot more inches than I planned. Cripes -- as my mom would say. I loaded the top on the short end. Oh well I will deal with that when I reach that point, another day.

In the meantime, I have learnt how to orient the blocks. When I chose a design for large square, I thought it was going well, until I realized that the design I could see on the ProStitcher was not the same as what it was quilting. It was overlapping and skewed badly. So I stopped before it got to the end. Still unpicking the stitches, and I will try again tomorrow. I'm almost certain its not human error, but who knows. Live and learn.

AnneBright-design-blck.jpg Stitching.jpg

Comment

• jjkaiser
                    jjkaiser commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your quilting looks excellent! You are amazing always trying something new and you hardly ever screw anything up! How do you like the Tuscany wool? I am waiting for it to go on sale so I can try it.

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Editing a comment
                    JJKaiser -- I love the Tuscany Wool. If I could spend that much on every quilt, it would probably be my go-to. Its light and warm without the weight, especially for queen and king size quilts. And it puffs out and really emphasizes the quilting. I usually wait for a sale at CT and buy as many as I can.

• Rhonda K
                    Rhonda K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's a gorgeous quilting design on the pink block. Love the Spring Bouquet quilt in the first post too!

This is what I've been working on the past two weekends. Now waiting on backing. All from stash. I think my blue scraps multiply while I sleep. IMG_2523.jpg

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
                    Editing a comment
                    Karen your quilt is beautiful. I love your fabric choices for the pattern. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

• Cathy F
                    Cathy F commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow, I really love all the blues in this quilt they really pop against the white. Great job!

• Rhonda K
                    Rhonda K commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great scrappy with the blue fabrics. Yes, they have a party while we are sleeping.
                    Last edited by Rhonda K; October 30, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Great work! I love this quilt!!
                  Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
                    This is what I've been working on the past two weekends. Now waiting on backing. All from stash. I think my blue scraps multiply while I sleep. IMG_2523.jpg
                    I haven't decided how to quilt it yet. Part of me wants to do something custom, but honestly it will depend on how much time I have once the backing arrives.

Comment

Working...
                    X