WIP - Aug 28 - Sept 30, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - Aug 28 - Sept 30, 2020

Well another month is over, and what have we/I done? Just dabbling with getting familiar with LA. Also getting distracted sewing non-quilting items. Summer (August) is busy with making pickles, tending to garden, freezing and canning vegetables and a few short road trips.

Unfortunately for me, I will have to take it a bit easier this month. I sliced my index finger to the bone on Aug 31st. I went to ER and got 4 stitches and a tetanus shot. Its in a splint for 2 weeks, and then I will remove the stitches and keep it covered. I told the doctor that he better do nice invisible stitches as my quilting friends would be assessing his skills. Its not too painful now, just awkward not to get it wet.

I might load some quilts and let it run on LA. What are you working on?

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Suzanne is so sorry about her finger, a wound is painful anywhere on the body but the hands seen so important and it is so annoying not being able to use the whole hand, I wish you soon to be well and without any problem. This month of August has been a bit hot for my taste, so I have not worked much although I have done enough masks and I still have some left because the children of the family start school on the 7th and 14th and the university students on the 14th as well who want new masks, I hope to finish with enough for a few months

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      Its been a very hot summer here as well. The hottest ever, so this is why I retreat indoors. I would have loved to sew more but that didnt always happen. .
      It is actually not painful at all, and didn't really hurt when I cut it. I have a high tolerance for pain. The most pain I had was when the freezing came out after the stitches. This is when I guzzled down 3 glasses of red wine. No need for painkillers, this worked better.

Ouch hope all heals quickly Suzanne.
    Congratulations on the long arm, sounds like was having fun.๐Ÿ˜

finished the Unity top on cast iron 201 treadle and got it sandwiched, did start some dungarees for some fun sewing attire on the aluminium 201 treadle, the fabric was the a.basics flat sheet, himself got to grips with rotary cutting the pattern thought rotary cutters are pretty good, but kept having to remind to lock blade and fingers in way. fabric great for color but not great to sew, every seam is a french seams / english seams to encase the fraying, again progress stopped, for a want of a zip, then some life moments.A zip arrived, really must get on and finish these before winter woollies are needed.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      Great project. I have done French seams, but what are English seams?

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Suzanne
      its the same seam, just depends whether in France or England, learnt about the name on a couple of youtubes, did try to find them again but like a needle in haystack.
      T

Ouch!! How did you do that?? I hope it heals quickly and that you can get back to doing all the things you love.

I am finishing a quilt as you go hexi project this morning. Just need to iron and take some photos to post. Then...weeding the garden.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      I was cutting a simple sashing that was only 12'' long. When I cut many layers and longer lengths I always use a weight (dumbbell) on ruler, but I didn't since it was a single layer. Well I got distracted, and the cutter ran over the ruler and across my left index. Also a distracted moment.

• Hillbillyhike
      Hillbillyhike commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes! Those cutters are so sharp. I've nicked myself a few times.

Suzanne ~ I hope your finger heals quickly. Bummer! I'm still working on the Smoke & Fire quilt. It's sandwiched & pin basted, just waiting to be quilted. I've been putting together a couple sample sandwiches on which to practice before I start in on the quilt. I may use a leaf FMQ pattern, which also sort of looks like a flame. I want to use a new thread, so that means making tension adjustments on the LA.

Comment

Suzanne, sorry to hear about your mishap. That must have been painful. Hope it heals nicely. I finally gifted the dinosaur quilt last week. Have lost my mojo. I think it's because of the disaster zone in the sewing room. I hope to work on that tomorrow

Comment

I bought some backing fabric for three quilts and some pumpkin place mats that are on the sewing machine at home. I also got some gorgeous Christmas fabric that will become presents for friends and neighbors, hopefully this year. I didn't see anything much at the quilt store the first day we went but decided to go back and lucky me they were having a Labor Day sale. I looked more closely and scored a lot. Now I have 3 UFOs that won't be that for long since I have the backing I can get them sandwiched and fmq.

Comment

Papillons2020.jpg
          Everyone is busy. Thanks for your good wishes, my finger is healing well. I may take off the splint at the end of the week. Doctor said I could cut off knots on stitches in 14 days. It healing well. No pain at all, and I have no lost feeling so far.

I finished quilting my butterfly quilt (76 x 88) on the LA. That's the first one quilted for myself. Also quilted a total of 8 VQC tops. My friend and I counted and we have over 40 tops to be quilted. Since the group is not allowed to meet, the ladies have not been tying any. We received word that the head office will start accepting finished quilts. We have over 20 to bring along with 50+bags for patients to carry them when they go for treatments. I have also pieced the back for my kindred pinwheels king-size top. This is the largest yet. While I want to dabble with custom quilting, I think I will stick to an all-over design for now. I have also distracted myself with making items for craft shows when they resume, presumably in 2021.

Comment

With school starting back, I have not made as much progress as I did over the summer. After 3 weeks back in the saddle (teaching), I have finally reached a rhythm that allows me to make some quilting each evening,
            even if itโ€™s only a few seams. I decided to try to complete 2 more quilts for Christmas gifts, and just finished squaring up blocks for the first this evening. I already have backing and batting, so Iโ€™ll be ready to quilt it as soon as I finish stitching together the blocks.

Attached Files

Comment

• ktdid
              ktdid commented
              Editing a comment
              I like your colors looks good!

After having the Quilter's Creative Touch on my machine for over two years, I have got brave and I'm trying to add new Pantos from a third party source. I found a video on you tube and its a little more complicated than I thought it was going to be. Urban Elementz have some free patterns , so I am starting there. I got thru the first steps of downloading it to a zip drive. I went to the surface to install it and the silly thing had a long long long update. Got to love slow wifi. This afternoon I'm going to install it. I sat for hours and looked at all the gorgeous patterns and the prices of the patterns. 15$ to me is a lot for a pattern if your only going to use it once. I have a patch quilt with scraps from all the mask that I have been making . I think this would be a good one to practice a new pattern on.

Comment

I love Urban elements panos i used alot of them on my friends longarm. Learned alot about actual pano space and sizes.

Comment

I finished quilting the king-size Kindred Pinwheels, have made and attached the binding. I am half-way to handsewing the binding to the back. And that will be another UFO done. I started it at a week long retreat in Feb 2019, and finished assembling the top last fall, as I needed to get the backing. The back is Jenny Byer <Starry Nights> although I dont see any stars in it. Yeah - done.
                Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; September 27, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

The heavy weight is done. I might try looking for some fabric matching the back to make 4 pillowcases. All hand sewn -- not too bad, and I consider this a test that my finger is pretty well healed with not too many lasting issues.

On the first picture, this is actually the back turned over the quilt. I added a row of 5 extra blocks. I like to do this on my quilts, but on this one as I was a bit short on backing fabric.

Kindred-back.jpgKindredPinwheels.jpgKindred-border.jpg
                  Last edited by SuzanneOrleansOntario; September 27, 2020, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Oh my, this is just beautiful, one of my favorites!!!

Comment

That is a stunning quilt! I love the extra blocks on the back.
                      Maria

Comment

Working...
                      X