July 3-30, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 3-30, 2020

Let's cover the whole month in this thread. I'm certain many of you have been quite busy with masks, or staying indoors in A/C finishing up those WIP or UFOs or just dawdling about with yardwork and other projects. Summer is like jello, I just cant nail my projects to the calendar. I tend to go with the flow, and since the pandemic, I have being really fluid in my schedule. It probably does help that its been like this since I retired 7 years ago. I threw out all agendas, except for medical appointments & quilt meetings/road trips.

I have been busy practicing on our new LA. I have quilted 2 volunteer tops and have another loaded. I also quilted a quilt for step son, that DH made the top. Still learning a lot, watching a lot of tutorials, reading the manual before I attempt anything. I know the more I do, the less intimidated I will become.

Recently, I cut up about 20 metres of baby flannel to make some box baby sets. This season, I am sticking with boy & neutral colours. I am almost finished making some placemats for us, using a poppy panel I bought years ago. I used an ombre fabric & backing from road trip first year I started sewing. Eventually it comes together. I have added the two borders to the 9 patch-hourglass quilt, and found some green flannel wideback in my stash, and binding is made, so probably will be next one loaded. I have also washed and pressed backing fabric for another quilt top I made at retreat. I just keep plugging away.

What are you up to?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Oh, how fun! Your projects look great! I'll join you on this thread. I can't post pics of some because they are secert santa gifts for this forum. I was invited last month into the secret santa group. I am having so much fun creating projects for it!

I've also been busy sewing and crafting. I found out about design boards recently. I made a bunch. Used up a lot of binding leftovers. I do a lot of applique so they are super handy. I made my dad a mask and bowl cozie out of some fun beattle bailey fabric. My son is in Fl, he joined the Army so I made him a bunch of stuff just to make his space feel homey. Bowl cozie, mask, mug rugs, coasters, video game controller mats. I still have two table toppers to do. I got a little obsessed with the mini twister tool.He likes blue, gray and black. I made my daughter an apron, shes 17 and loves baking. I have another one cut and ready to sew. She wants coasters too out of pink and purple with my twister tool. Im finishing sewing the rows together on Daniel's (my bf) illusion quilt. I really like designing my quilts I've found, I bought the Morris fall layer cake DD, I designed a row quilt with sunbonnet sue and woodsy theme. I'm waiting on black thread to finish the applique on Daniel's angry bear quilt I designed.

I have so many things started that I should have joined the finishing group lol. Next year it's a must! There's no space for my long arm in this new rental. Its temporary so the quilts are piling up that need quilting!

Rachel 20200714_175032.jpg20200714_174924.jpg20200714_174825.jpg20200712_183218.jpg20200714_174652.jpg20200714_175447.jpg20200714_175635.jpg20200714_174947.jpg20200714_175752.jpg15947713272194127965762993988670.jpg

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      This is all so beautiful -- you have been really productive and not sitting idle for sure. I love aprons. A few years ago, I bought some vintage apron patterns, and just waiting for the time to make some.

Suzanne I think summer is the time when quilts are forgotten in the sewing roon. The weather is good, the days are long and we want to go cut because later in the fall and winter we stay at home so I´m also sewing a little les, although my scrappy quilt is progressing little by little, maybe in September I can present it in the forum

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      Summer -- if the humidity is too high, I tend to stay indoors and sew/quilt.

WOW....you've been busy! Great work!
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Something new I am trying.....a Shannon Brinkley design of the Kansas City Skyline. It's not perfect and I have the quilting yet to do.....
      Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

• Mdtrimble
        Mdtrimble commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that! Where did you find the pattern? I wonder if they have patterns for skylines of other cities....

• shermur
        shermur commented
        Editing a comment
        Mdtrimble.....here is the link for PDF patterns offered by Shannon Brinkley. https://shannon-brinkley.com/collect...op/us-skylines. I highly suggest you take Shannon's on-line class on scrappy applique or buy her book. It helped me greatly!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
        Editing a comment
        I have a city scape of Calgary that my daughter picked up during the Row by Row challenges - the home year. Its beautiful, but it reminds me of all the blocks I have that I haven't made yet.

Oh my gosh, Shermur I love that!! great work!

Comment

I love seeing everyone’s projects; I miss the quilting club, and seeing what everyone there was up too. I’m glad I’ve found this community, y’all have helped fill
        that hole in my life.

I spent the first half of July with my father in Georgia (my family and I live in CA, and we decided we needed a change of scenery; my dad generously let us shelter with him for 3 weeks), so I didn’t have access to my sewing machine. I brought materials for my first EPP project (I think I shared a picture of my first few stars last month), so I made a bunch of progress on that. I’m finished with all the stars, just need to piece them together with hexagons. I just ordered the fabric for the hexagons this week, so prepared to wait another 3 weeks to make more progress on that project.

I finished the quilting on quilt 3 of 4 for my sister’s kids. I’ll finish the list in time to send them for Christmas, but I needed a break from the quilting, so I just did a jelly roll rug this weekend.

Comment

• shermur
          shermur commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice! Keep going and keep sharing your projects!

• ktdid
          ktdid commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd never attempt the stars and hexagons, very pretty, really like you rug.

• TMac
          TMac commented
          Editing a comment
          Soo beautiful!

Its almost the end of July, where has time gone? I have been getting more practice on the Amara. I think our relationship is building in a positive way. She is no longer referred to as the Beast in the Basement, but becoming a Hidden Beauty. I quilted 2 more quilts for cancer patients in 1 day. Although they are just stockpiling for now, and they are not allowed to give to recipients. I find this sad. - cancer doesn't wait. Hopefully the activity will return. They have been seeking donations of fabric, as cash donations are down.
        It does seem that everyone is very busy, especially Momof5monsters (forgot your name). CRAFT disease - haha

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

• ktdid
          ktdid commented
          Editing a comment
          I really admire all your charity work Suzanne!

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
          Editing a comment
          Kathryn - thanks. I got a 3rd quilt done on Tuesday night. This is a bit ironic, since I was called back for a mammogram re-test. All is good.

Your work is beautiful. What is a box baby set?

Comment

I have been making mini quilts lately.....I don't know why, but I like it! I guess it's using up scrap fabric and getting a sense of accomplishment.....

Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X