WIP - May 1-7, 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - May 1-7, 2020

Sorry I didn't remember to start the weekly thread on Friday. I think days are running together a lot, not more so because of the virus, but only because we're retired, and all days are like weekends.

My sewing room has been a buzz with making masks and caps. I'm doing them production style, and all are at 90% finished. The last part is to insert elastic or ties, depending on what they think will work better. I'm still only doing them for family and friends, free of charge. I have asked recipients to make donations to local food bank. I have seen masks selling online for up to $20. I have seen a mask a friend bought, and they were flimsy and stitches were not tacked. Shameful in a time like this.

I also need to figure out where to put a fantastic give from a friend. It's a narrow plastic storage tower with 4 small and 4 large drawers. DH suggested I put fabric in it. I told him I don't have enough and might have to buy more. Haha

I find it a lot more difficult to focus on sewing when the sun is shining and the weather is warming up.

So what are you working on this week?

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

I am trying to finish up two quilts, one is a graduation gift and I am about 3/4 done with the quilting. The other is a double wedding ring and I am stitching around the rings about 1/4" from the edges with a walking foot. It sure takes a lot of turning around and shoving through the machine throat. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ I don't have too much more to do and then the binding. I may even put a hanging sleeve and enter into our show in Oct. I wouldn't expect a ribbon but am sure proud of getting it made.

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      SuzanneOrleansOntario commented
      Editing a comment
      I am certain that it will be beautiful even if it's challenging to quilt it. I have yet to start the double wedding ring.

Here is my version of week 4,my fabric dictated change of block so spotted a Jenny Kindred pinwheel block , and resized by drawing a square and adding lines, then saw a Bonnie Hunter block star struck in free pattern section of Quiltville, My Unity is now different, but this has worked within my fabric limitations, and am happy to have used blocks from my 2 favourite inspire and designers. The Blocks were also easy to do so that was a bonus.๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• TMP
      TMP commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful fabric !

Suzanne, all the days are running into each other, that's for sure.

I've been busy, finished up a bag for my DIL this week and she picked it up (unfortunately, I wasn't home when she dropped by). I've been working on baby quilts. I bought a layer cake of Sunday Picnic. I made two Falling Charms baby quilts out of half. Now to get to the quilt store to get border fabrics.

102_0649.JPG
    Katrina

โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€
    โ€• Maya Angelou

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      It's a cheerful line of fabric. Will you quilt yourself or send to LA?

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      thats a lovely quilt๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ which colour border are you auditioning, tis the one to right a log cabin?

• KPH
      KPH commented
      Editing a comment
      It's Jenny's Falling Charms pattern.

I took both out today, but with the line outside of JoAnn's I just decided to wait on picking borders. I guess since I don't know of one baby quilt that I'll need so far this year, I'll just wait until later to get the borders.

Today I finished making 20 caps for mom's residence. Last week when I spoke to head nurse, I asked what we could do for staff. Donuts, coffee, chocolates? I mentioned I was making masks. She asked if I could make caps/hats for nursing staff. It's a start. I will try a version without the tail for the men. It might also work for women with short hair. I will use the Among Brenda's Quilt version. I also need to finish masks for friends. I found that I can easily slice 1/4" elastic lengthwise without fraying.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you for your makes to fight the virus. they are jolly
      himself delivered some fabric masks to pharmacy, he was wearing / modelling a mask, green headache glasses and an rimmed hat, hopefully did not scare them.Bet wont forget himself teehee.
      hope all well hugs
      T

• jjkaiser
      jjkaiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful collection of masks and hats! Very professional looking too. The staff will fight over them. Never seen purple elastic before, it is so pretty.

image.jpg

I got a note back from the head nurse. The caps / hats are still in quarantine until Thursday, at which point they will be distributed to staff. This afternoon, I babysat the embroidery machine while it made the label for mom's quilt. It all went fine until the last line with my name and date. It jammed up, so I had to cut it loose. I decided to just sign it and since we have to label everything, I put her name on the hole.

It reads in French - Mom, made for you with love. You have guided, held, consoled and loved me, We all love you. I will drop off tomorrow so she can get it by Saturday
    . image.jpg

Comment

• MSN
      MSN commented
      Editing a comment
      Suzanne, the quilt is lovely. And I predict that the heartfelt sentiment in that label will bring a tear to your mom's eyes.

• 201 Treadler
      201 Treadler commented
      Editing a comment
      beautiful, and some future keep sake for your family too, such a shame the machine messed up, or maybe happy accident as you signed it, making more personal xx when will the quilt be released?

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
      Editing a comment
      The quilt should be released to mom either on Saturday, my birthday, or on Mother's day at the latest.
Working...
X