Cutting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Problems

I finally put figured out why my fabric was looking woobly after I cut it. Duh! Took me awhile, LOL. Well anyways heres the deal. I noticed that when I cut my fabric i have it folded in half. This is when I noticed the problem. At the fold is where it isnt cut right. Does anyone have a tip that will get me over this issue. Any and all ideas will be helpful. Thanks, Paula
    Have a blessed day in HIS name!
    PAULA

Re: Cutting Problems

I had this problem too. I wasn't squaring up my fabric and making sure my fold in the fabric was smooth. Once I did that I didn't have wobbly fabric. I'm not sure from your post if you are squaring up your fabric first or not, but it has make a big difference when I cut my fabric. Hope this helps.
    Shelia

Comment

I agree with Sheila. (sorry this turned out so long.) You can rarely depend on the fold on the bolt to have your fabric squared correctly. I recommend that you press your fabric thoroughly before cutting, especially the center fold. Then refold it so the fabric is squared - to do this, bring the selvedge edges together (similar to the way they are on the bolt) and hold both in your hands so that you can slide one selvedge a little while the other selvedge stays "put"...keep sliding in small increments until you see that there are no wrinkles or soft twists on the fabric in the area of the fold. I find that if I can hold my fabric so that I can look down on it from the top it helps me to see any wrinkles or soft twists. Does this all make sense? Once you've got the edges so there are no wrinkles or twists, lay it flat and then trim off one end so it's square to the folded side. I've seen as much as an inch or more difference at the end after I've refolded it! If you want to fold the fabric again to make it easier to cut, bring either the fold or the selvedge to the other side...make sure again that there are not twists in the fabric and you can check that you're correct by measuring from edge to edge and the width should be equal the whole length of your fabric. Once this refolding is done correctly, you can cut strips without the Y in the middle. It's confusing at first, but worth it to do it right. Gals at the quilt shop can help you if you need it. I still recheck my end cut periodically to make sure that the cut edge is 90 degrees from the folded edge and if it's off, I retrim to make it straight (usually every 3 - 4 strips)

Comment

Thanks Gals!!!!!!!!! Not squaring my fabric the right way was my problem. I was only squaring it on one side not two siides. Your both right, it made a huge difference.
        Thanks A Bunch
        Paula
        PS Im so excited that now I am going on a cuttn spree,lol.
        Have a blessed day in HIS name!
        PAULA

Comment

I only realized I have been doing this wrong when I saw Eleanor Burns trim the end side before cutting her patches.

Comment

Thanks for the tips ladies.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Working...
            X