Cluster Of Thread...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster Of Thread...?

I'm starting to sew rows together for a rag quilt made of denim and homespun (thanks for the tutorial and idea Jenny!) and I'm sewing slowly because of the heavy denim. Right before I get to where the seams meet, I stop and make sure it's lined up. When I start sewing again, slowly, before I get to the "meeting spot" my machine makes like a clunking sound. I look and I've got a cluster of thread on the bottom. I sewed and ripped 3 times and the same thing happened everytime. What am I doing wrong? My bobbin is threaded correctly and I've got plenty of thread in the top and bottom. This is the first time I've ever had this happen. The blocks went into rows ok, but I just can't seem to get the rows to go together ok. Please help!

Re: Cluster Of Thread...?

hmmm..have you changed the needle? rethreaded the machine? those are usually the first thing I check when I have a problem with the thread getting knarly....
    Michele

Comment

I haven't changed the needle... and I didn't think I'd really done that much with it so far to need to change it. I rethreaded the machine both top and bottom and it's done properly. I tried it one more time, thinking maybe it was just the 6 layers of fabric, but it happens as soon as I stop sewing and start up again. I stopped in the middle of the first block and it started making that goofy sound and bunched up on the back. And when I go to pull it out and cut the thread, the thread isn't stuck in the bobbin or anything. It comes out just fine. I'm going to be so bummed if I've put these 20 rows together and can't sew them together to finish it

Comment

My first thought is all the layers of fabric too. Does it sew okay with normal fabric layers or do you have the same problem? Maybe a needle for heavier fabric? Are you using a walking foot? I would probably try making changes one at a time until I solved the problem.
        Gosh...good luck. Let us know what happens!
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

SOmething similar happened to me...on my expensive Brother machine. I ended up having to take it in to the shop and they had to replace a part that needed ordered from Japan, and it took 3 months. They swear it wasn't from me sewing denim, but I think it was. An inner part got bent. I ended up buying a cheap professional grade Singer to use as my 'jeans machine'. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the same ordeal for you!

Comment

Ok, I figured out the needle size.. my machine had a size 14 in it and I bought a size 16 and changed the needle... but I'm still having the bunching problem!!! What am I doing wrong? I made sure the top and bottom thread is threaded correctly. I'm so bummed. I can't take my machine to where I bought it because I bought it off the internet, new. I don't have the ability to go to a quilt shop either. Please help!

Comment

Have you checked for lint build up in your bobbin area? Another idea is to check your tension. That's about the only things I can think of besides what you have done. Unless like patticakes suggests maybe you need to use a walking foot. Good luck!
              Shelia

Comment

That was what I forgot to mention... I am using a walking foot. Before I was just using my 1/4" foot, but I switched to my walking foot and it's still doing it. I'm using 30wt 100% cotton thread. I"m really baffled by this... Since I'm pretty new to quilting and completely new to rag quilts, I don't quite understand the tension part.

Comment

If you have your manual for your sewing machine it should tell you how to adjust your tension. This is one of the areas I have the most trouble with. Here is a link I found that may help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2174957_clum...th-sewing.html

Sorry I couldn't get it to link so you will have to cut and paste. Hope this helps!
                  Shelia

Comment

Ok it linked after I posted - go figure
                    Shelia

Comment

That site is really helpful. Thanks.
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Did that help? Tension is usually my problem when I've got thread /bobbin issues but the rethreading usually takes care of it. I'm usually just missing a hook somehow or it's not pulled into the tension area well enough. And then I huff and puff a little and wonder at how one little hook can make such a difference, oh well. I hope you got it figured out, it's no fun to be without a sewing machine!
                        To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Just wondering if you solved your problem?? A few days after reading this I started sewing on something new and had a terrible time with the thread and I thought of you. After checking that I threaded it correctly, checked out the manual, etc it still was not looking right. Come to find out I had the bobbin in backwards so the thread was coming off of it the wrong way. That fixed it!
                          Hope your got yours running smooth!
                          Patti
                          Patti
                          "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Hello ladies So sorry I haven't posted sooner. My dad has been in the hospital the past two days for his heart. This is the 4th time. They are talking about bypass surgery if he has to come back again. I'm a basketcase, but...

Tension was the problem!!! I fought with my machine that whole time and finally read a little bit about tension and all I had to do was change it from a 2 to a 4. lol. Haven't had a single problem. In fact, I'm halfway done with my rag quilt. I can't wait to post pictures! I've posted quite a few problems that I've had on here and after the problem gets solved, I feel like such a idiot because it was something so simple that I was just uneducated about as a beginner.

Anyways, thanks to all of you. I learn something new everyday I read these posts from everyone.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dad. I hope everything works out okay for him!

Yeah! I'm glad you figured out your tension. I had that problem a while back and was relieved when I figured it out. Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Take care
                              Shelia

Comment

Working...
                              X