Tumbler Quilt Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tumbler Quilt Borders

I just finished a charm pack tumbler quilt and want to put a border on it; however! i want to leave the ziggy/zag edge on it! How do i do that? I know it's not done the same as attaching a binding to the ziggy edge, i just don't know how it is done! Would love a video tutorial if you know of one!!!

Re: Tumbler Quilt Borders

I finished a Sand Hills Plums tumbler charm pack quilt just recently and would like to leave that edge also and then border it....thanks for asking the question...can't wait to see the suggestions or maybe a tute!!!
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

I you check jenny's video tutorial on scalloped borders,,, it might give you some ideas.... you'll need to "sort of miter" all the in's and outs im guessing...
      "Each day well-lived and Happy;
      that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

i actually have seen the scalloped borders tute, but i dont think it is as intricate as these inside angles on the tumbler - but thanks!

Comment

Wouldn't you add a 1/2 of a tumbler in your border fabric to the end of each row? Then you could attach whatever you want to make the border wider with a straight strip of fabric? I'm intrigued with the concept of the tumbler quilt, just haven't gotten around to doing one, and want to know this myself. I'm not into the in and out kind of sewing, that sounds like it would end up as a nightmare for me! I looked in my ruler box and found I purchased both sizes of tumbler templates, so I'd better get on the stick and make a couple of tumbler quilts to justify buying the templates!

Comment

thanks again - i've actually seen a tumbler done w/adding the little triangle to give it a straight edge, but i can't say i really like the look of that. looked a little "make-shift" - if that's the only option, then i'd orobably just cut the tumbler straight away.
            somewhere i saw a pic of a tumbler with the added border on it's own - it looked so cool!

Comment

I recently saw a tutorial for finishing a hexagon quilt without cutting the border straight. The site is badskirt.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-finishing-you-hexie-quilts.html. You basically make a mirror imagine with your outside edge then sew right sides together and turn. If this worked for the uneven border of a hexie quilt I wonder if it might work for your tumbler quilt. Hope this helps. If you have trouble with web site let me know. Not to computer savvy.
              ​Janet :)

Comment

I can't wait to hear an answer to your question from someone. I will make a tumbler quilt then. Maybe, if I understand you right, you just need to make bias binding and lots of it as you will be going in and out of corners, etc. when you finish this quilt. Is that what you are talking about, lulu? Piece and blessings, Vicki

Comment

I did a tumbler quilt, a picture you can see in my album. And I made a strip of tumblers in white, attaching top and bottom. Then cut the strip in half and attached the halfs on each side of the quilt. This way you keep the zigzag edges.
                  Last edited by Lenie; April 23rd, 2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

nope, not the binding, an actual border! i get how to put a binding on those angles and zigs/zags, just trying to figure out and few inch border to put on before the binding! :-)
                    Last edited by lulu; April 23rd, 2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

okay, i looked at that site - great idea! but! that's putting hexies on hexies. I want to add a border right to the ziggy edge, so it looks as if the zigs and zags go into the border i would attach. then THAT border would be leaving a straight edge all around to attach a binding to.
                      i know, i must be nuts!

Comment

looks great lenie, but that would be pretty much just like cutting the ziggy sides off the quilt top as it is now. but at least yours does have a border! gettin closer!!!!! lol!

Comment

I hope you find the solution, and if it's ready, you want to share it with us. I'm looking forward to that.

Comment

I hope I can get this explained well enough for you to understand. And HOPE this is the look you were wanting.

1. do a row of tumbling blocks to mirror your last row.
                            2. sew that row onto your quilt top.. right sides together.
                            3. turn and press, do clip the edges where needed to make it all lay flat. Makes a finished edge all around your quilt..or on just 3 sides.. YOU choose.
                            4. Mark the center line of your tumbler blocks.. where you will attach the next row.
                            5. Sew your border onto the "center" line of your tumbler.. with both fabrics facing up.

This will leave a flap of fabric that is finished off where you join your border to the quilt top. If you wish to tack it down or just leave it as is.. that is another option.
                            Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
                            :icon_wave:

Comment

Judy, you beat me to the punch; this is basically what I was going to suggest.

Comment

Working...
                              X