Does size matter...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does size matter...?

I watched Jenny's tutorial on rag quilts and fell in LOVE!!! I'm rounding up everyone I know to donate old jeans and I'm planning to make rag quilts like crazy! I have a couple of questions. First one is, do I NEED a different needle size if I'm sewing denim and homespun? I don't know what size the needles are that came with my machine, and the manual doesn't say. I've looked online and can't seem to find the current size needle or needles for denim.

My second question is about the fabric. Being new to quilting, it's taken a lot for me to learn everything about cotton lol. Are there other fabrics you can use for rag quilting other than homespun, denim, and flannel? I've heard cotton doesn't fray too well.

Thanks for reading!!

Re: Does size matter...?

I believe my machine uses 70s .... I know that they make universal denim needles I have seen... Hope this helps...

Comment

Hi Cathy . . . I am also new to the sewing world . . .

here's a bit of FYI -- I went by when I had the same ? . .that was before I found this forum . .

found at ---
      Read more: How to Choose a Needle for Machine Sewing | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_15071_choose...#ixzz0qVeAyeVc

Know that most readily available machine needles are sized from 9 to 18 - the smaller the number, the smaller the needle. This remains true, even if the needles you purchase use a different numbering system.

Step 2
      Use standard sharp sewing machine needles in sizes 11 to 14 for most sewing projects. A smaller-sized needle is best for sheer or lightweight fabrics. Sizes 16 to 18 are used for heavyweight fabrics like denim.

Step 3
      Use ball-point machine needles to sew knits or other stretchy fabrics. Their blunt edges allow the thread to pass between the fabric's fibers rather than through them. This is crucial for maintaining the fabric's elasticity.

Step 4
      Use wedge-point machine needles to sew leathers, suedes and vinyls. The shape of this needle will create a slit (rather than a large hole) through which the thread will pass.

Step 5
      Change your needle at the start of each project. A worn or damaged needle will cause skipped or uneven stitches and may damage your fabric.

Step 6
      Purchase a package of assorted needle sizes if you are unsure which is appropriate for your fabric.

Step 7
      Test the various sizes on some scrap fabric until you determine the correct size to use.

Step 8
      Check the label on the needle package before you make a purchase. For most brands, there will be a sizing guide that will tell you which fabrics can be sewn with the enclosed needles.

here's pic of a Quilted Rag handbag I made using a size 14 needle . . front and back are cotton material the center is flannel

Hope that helps a bit

Diane
      ;o}

Originally posted by cathys311 View Post
      I watched Jenny's tutorial on rag quilts and fell in LOVE!!! I'm rounding up everyone I know to donate old jeans and I'm planning to make rag quilts like crazy! I have a couple of questions. First one is, do I NEED a different needle size if I'm sewing denim and homespun? I don't know what size the needles are that came with my machine, and the manual doesn't say. I've looked online and can't seem to find the current size needle or needles for denim.

My second question is about the fabric. Being new to quilting, it's taken a lot for me to learn everything about cotton lol. Are there other fabrics you can use for rag quilting other than homespun, denim, and flannel? I've heard cotton doesn't fray too well.

Thanks for reading!!
      Attached Files
      2015 is here
      Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other :)

Comment

Helps a lot, thank you!

Such a beautiful bag!! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

I can't wait to see what google traffic we get due to this topic heading :P LOL

Comment

Originally posted by BillNye View Post
            I can't wait to see what google traffic we get due to this topic heading :P LOL

That is HILARIOUS!!!
            Michele

Comment

Sorry.. I was trying to think of something clever for needle sizes lol

Maybe it will turn people on to quilting

Comment

I wanted to make this quilt as well but I am not sure what size squares she used. Does anyone know? I haven't been able to find homespun fabric in my local store, can you buy it online?
                Don't worry if the sleeves are too long, you'll find they'll ride up with wear.

Comment

Yes you can buy it online... I bought mine from www.jubileefabric.com. It's a really good website for homespun. And what I loved the most is they ALWAYS give you extras. I ordered enough for 300 squares and I counted them when I got them all and had 352. I'm not sure what size squares she used either. I ended up using 5" and let me tell ya... it's a lots o sewing!

Comment

Thanks for the run down on needle size. I'm always wondering what size needle to use.
                    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Where can I look for sewing machine needles online? I don't even know what I'm looking for honestly. I have a brother xl2610. I'm not sure what size needle my machine has on it now. In the book it doesn't say. It just has a part number.

Comment

Ok, so I spoke before I REALLY looked... sorry

Can someone please tell me if this is what I need?

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd34027

Comment

Working...
                        X