• golden mountain
    replied
    Re: new girl question about surface design

This is so helpful! Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• ktbb
    replied
    Re: new girl question about surface design

The term you're looking for is "quilting"...making the design with thread, or more simply, stitching the three layers of the quilt "sandwich" together. "Piecing" is one of the terms used to describe putting together the top of the quilt.

Yes, the ability to drop feed dogs is important if you want to do "free motion" work/quilting or FMQ and if you do this, you also need to have a darning foot or free motion foot, which are available for almost any machine. There are generic ones that can work very well. The darning foot eliminates the traditional pressure foot and allows you to move the fabric around under the needle to you can form your own designs.

In case you want to so simpler quilting made up of either straight lines or very simple/shallow curves, I recommend you get a walking foot, which is also available for most machines. Here I recommend that you get one specifically for your machine if one is available. The walking foot helps to evenly feed the three layers of the quilt through the machine for regular stitching. The foot can be used for any type of sewing, but is especially good for quilting because of the thickness of the quilt.

There are many places to get designs, and you can even draw your own. For beginning quilters, check out stippling or meandering patterns - these are much simpler designs, tho they take practice in order to be good at it. Just google "quilting designs" and you'll get a lot of sites that have them.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• golden mountain
    started a topic new girl question about surface design

new girl question about surface design

I'm making a baby quilt--have sewed clothing quite a bit but I am new to quilting-the piece that keeps mystifying me is how to find a pattern for the surface design on the quilt. I am sure I am using incorrect terminology, but what I mean is the pattern you would make using thread on your quilt.

DO I even need a pattern? I have a Kenmore and I am able to drop my feed dogs (I believe I need to do this to quilt?) I'm not sure if I need a special foot or what....

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Working...
X