Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's talk thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Let's talk thread

    What is your favorite thread for piecing? Are you a white thread on most fabrics kind of gal or do you coordinate with whatever you are putting together? Do you use different bobbin thread than top thread?

    Spill it ladies......
    Michele

    #2
    Re: Let's talk thread

    I like to coordinate. But that's just me.

    matchy-matchy I say!

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Let's talk thread

      I'm white or black thread type of girl unless it's gonna show I like to make as little work as possible for myself

      Once your on the top it's got to match or atleast coordinate depending on your desired end result. It's gotta look good!
      To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Let's talk thread

        Originally posted by stitchywoman
        I'm white or black thread type of girl unless it's gonna show I like to make as little work as possible for myself

        Once your on the top it's got to match or atleast coordinate depending on your desired end result. It's gotta look good!

        I agree. I'm really interested in trying some variegated thread on a top...I love the look I've seen on others and just want to try it for myself.
        Michele

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Let's talk thread

          I like guetterman thread. I also have heard that you should usually use beige, gray or white....they are the most versatile. That was coming from an amazing applique-r, and I trust her judgment. BUT.....what do I know!?!?
          I am gonna say though, that I didn't ever know how much of a difference good thread makes. It's HUGE.

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Let's talk thread

            Originally posted by sewhot
            I like guetterman thread. I also have heard that you should usually use beige, gray or white....they are the most versatile. That was coming from an amazing applique-r, and I trust her judgment. BUT.....what do I know!?!?
            I am gonna say though, that I didn't ever know how much of a difference good thread makes. It's HUGE.
            this brings up a good talking point...brand...though most likely it is total preference...you really can tell the difference between say C&C and Walmart brand quilting threads.

            What brands have you found work best for machine piecing/quilting? What about handwork thread? Why do you like them?
            Michele

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Let's talk thread

              I like guetermann as well. This is a good question for the giveaway Oh, on variegated, I just used a variegated embroidery floss on that green "Blossom" quilt and I loved it! I've seen some that are quilted with it and I really like that too! It adds alot of interest to a basic background.
              To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Let's talk thread

                Originally posted by stitchywoman
                I like guetermann as well. This is a good question for the giveaway Oh, on variegated, I just used a variegated embroidery floss on that green "Blossom" quilt and I loved it! I've seen some that are quilted with it and I really like that too! It adds alot of interest to a basic background.
                ohhh...I can't wait to see the Blossom quilted. You'll have to share!!
                Michele

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Let's talk thread

                  Originally posted by shell.scraps View Post
                  this brings up a good talking point...brand...though most likely it is total preference...you really can tell the difference between say C&C and Walmart brand quilting threads.

                  What brands have you found work best for machine piecing/quilting? What about handwork thread? Why do you like them?
                  I just love masterpiece by superior usually use the lightest grey as I use a lot of blue and white
                  I can't buy it in Canada so get it at the quilts shows in us, but this year instead of going to grand Rapids I'm going to chattanoga and they are not there. Maybe will make a online order and send to aunt whom we will visit while in us.
                  Gale


                  ,

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Let's talk thread

                    I use C & C primarily. I use white, black, cream or gray for most piecing unless its something I can match easily with what I have. I love the variegated threads for quilting it blends nicely with lots of colors and looks neat. I have and do use Guetermann, King Tut, Sulky what ever I can get in the color I need. My machine is not fussy and loves anything I put in it.
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Let's talk thread

                      White or black for piecing.
                      I have quite a few spools of varigated. Mostly King Tut. I used them in the embroidery machine and also for blanket and other fancy stitches for sewing.
                      Tried them for quilting, too. I like the effect.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Let's talk thread

                        I've been using Connecting threads 50 wt for piecing. As to color, I use a neutral, Fawn, Antique or Gray for piecing, then for quilting I use something that 'goes with' the top. A lot of time I use variegated thread for quilting. If I'm doing total scrappy I'll use up whatever I have until it's gone, regardless of color.
                        Kathy Crofoot
                        http://kathyscache.blogspot.com

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Let's talk thread

                          MasterPiece #50 in a natural color for piecing. MasterPiece for hand applique, it comes in an assortment of leeeetle bobbins called Frosted Donuts that I love so much 'cause they're purty all lined up.
                          Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

                          If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Let's talk thread

                            My Riccar and I HATE Gutterman -- breakage, nesting, etc.

                            I have also moved away from C & C in preference for Superior Thread and Connecting Threads.

                            I have been using Superior Threads (poly Serger and Masterpiece) and Connecting Threads (poly and cotton) in both top and bottom ... very SMOOTH sailing with these threads.

                            As for color: Off white, grey/smoke, or black. Brown or specific color when working with tops that are primarily that specific color. (e.g., Piecemakers fabric -- brown thread).

                            Also, black batting when using dark fabric.
                            Blessings, DramaMama


                            "May your bobbin always be full!"

                            Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                            http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Let's talk thread

                              Aurifil 50wt for piecing. I started with Gutterman because that's what I had on hand. I liked it, but I like Aurifil better.

                              I really like dark gray. Unless it somehow shows, I stick with it. Top and bobbin.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X