Marking tools. Which is your favorite? Are there tricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marking tools. Which is your favorite? Are there tricks

I avoid marking if I can, and I usually can. One reason I avoid it is the markers themselves. The frixion pens don’t deliver “ink” on the soft surface of a sandwiched quilt. The water soluble pencil works better when sharp, but loses its sharpness early. I haven’t tried chalk.

Re: Marking tools. Which is your favorite? Are there tricks

Are you asking about marking a quilt for quilting?
    I always take my quilts to a longarm quilter.
    The few times I hand quilted a quilt I used the
    1/4 inch tape and a Mark - B - Gone pen.
    This is light blue and washes out with
    cold water. This is the same pen I use to
    mark my fabric for machine embroidery.
    (Never press the blue marker because heat
    will make it permanent).

Comment

Yes, I am asking for marking for quilting. Thank you.

Comment

I always tried to avoid marking my quilt tops and did a lot of stitch in the ditch quilting because I've read some horror stories about marking lines not coming out. Then someone posted about using plain chalk - so I went out and bought plain white crayola chalk. I sharpen it with a big sharpener and it works very well. But it comes out very easily. So then I tried some tailor's chalk that I had purchased years ago when I was doing lots of garment sewing. It comes in different colors and leaves a nice thin line. It brushes out with a dry toothbrush or some canned air. I know some chalk has wax in it and is hard to get out, but the stuff I'm using seems to be fine. I also just tried Crayola washable markers and they worked well also...washed right out.
        Barbara

Comment

just heard about panda pencils looks interesting
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLPBEJZIjY4
          Gale

Comment

use one of these prym pencil (mines dark blue)
            with the 3 colour lead grey, yellow, pink, now with white refills.

just seen the pink and light blue
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/PrymLove-Tu...2124584&sr=8-1
            believe msqc sell some different brands, under 'marking tools'

used mine for sewing lines, due to the nice thin constant line next to rule. easy to switch out the refill colour. either from eraser end or pressing eraser end while gripping the refill extract then add another colour refill ensuring pressing eraser end.

edit added link with refill pack
            Last edited by 201 Treadler; February 19th, 2020, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I use something called the General's chalk pencil from the Fat Quarter Shop. Have used it for years and it always washes out. Makes a nice sharp line and sharpens with a regular pencil sharpener. I am a hq so I only mark a section at a time. A deal breaker for me is if a marker or pencil line has to be erased or brushed off with a toothbrush vs just washing your entire quilt in the washer. I do not want to have to physically get off all the marks before washing.

Comment

I tend to use the frixion pens for my sewing projects and have never had a problem to date with them. If hand quilting I will use the 1/4" tape for marking grids. On dark colored fabric I find the white chalk marker works well and comes off easily when done.
                If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I hand quilt, and use Crayola Ultra-clean fine line markers in all colors, or a white Clover pen for really dark fabrics. They don't rub off much while I'm quilting, but a quick soak in cold water removes every trace. About a dozen quilts now, and no problems.
                  TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

In spite of the controversy, I'm still using the Frixion pens (blue). Most of the time all I need to make is a small tick mark for guidance, since I FMQ free hand. For dark fabrics, I use the Clover white pen.

Comment

I like using triangle tailor's chalk. It makes nice sharp lines and comes of easily when I need it to. Plus it comes in a variety of colors which is great when working with lights and dark fabrics. The other thing that I have used is the water soluble blue pen by EZ Quilts.

Comment

Bar soap slivers . These have never failed me for colored fabric.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie~ View Post
                          Bar soap slivers . These have never failed me for colored fabric.
                          This is super duper brilliant, since I wash all quilts I make.

Comment

Sincere thanks for bits of wisdom. I really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                            X