Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I fix these panel blocks?

0D393E57-3625-4352-A942-4E6C116121D4.jpeg
    I’ve completed the star blocks for this “In The Forest” quilt pattern from Riley Blake, and laid them out with blocks from a panel. The blocks measure 18”. However, the panel squares aren’t square and measure a scant 17”. Any ideas of how to build them up to be 18” blocks? Thanks so much for any advice-I’m a very rusty quilter dusting off my skills for my first grandson.
    Lori

Re: How do I fix these panel blocks?

You could border the panel pieces with narrow border. I'd trim down the panel pieces a little so you could do an 1 1/2" strip.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

perhaps you could piece borders increasing all the blocks to one larger size, different designs which would hide / adjust, any changes,
      you could do pin wheels, piano keys, triangles, rows of half square triangles, flying geese, rail fence blocks, all or just one design, making your great blocks dance across the quilt, its up to you, have fun designing am sure your grandson will love the end result because of who has made it

Comment

I enlarged it so I could get a better look at the fabric in the center of your stars. I still can't see it very well. I think Iwould take that to enlarge the forest squares. It would tie everything together.

It's really cute!
        Lorie
        🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Those panels are really really cute! I would put a narrow strip on the bottom of the panels so all blocks are equal size, maybe a fine tiny check or homespun in navy/cream. I think a border out of piano keys would be too busy and detract from the quilt. Let us know what you decide. I think there are lots of possibilities. Also maybe look up panel quilts on Pinterest.

Comment

Thank you for your ideas! I do have fabric that matches the center squares, as well as coordinating fabrics that I can use to border and build up the panel squares. Stepping away and ruminating about it has been helpful. I’ll trim the panels up and experiment with borders. I do appreciate your suggestions!
            Lori

Comment

As others have suggested I say border each block to make them all a uniform size. Super cute!

Comment

Working...
              X