Newbie needs advice on choosing backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs advice on choosing backing

Hi! I’m trying to choose the backing for my second quilt. My favorite fabric has a cream background with gray flowers. The front is several shades of floral fabrics with black, grey, taupe, and cream. I plan on using a black binding. My second choice is a taupe floral that is 108 inches wide. So, I guess I’d like an opinion on whether or not a darker fabric is best? Or should I go with my fav even though I’d need to seam the back. I read somewhere that a lighter color may show more mistakes. Not sure if that’s true or not. TIA!

Re: Newbie needs advice on choosing backing

Hello and welcome to the Forum from the Basque Country, regarding your support it is difficult to give an opinion without seeing a photo, but I think you should like that you are doing the work and it does not matter if your back is rebuilt, regarding the colors, the dark ones show less

Comment

I usually choose a backing that has a pattern so my many mistakes don't show. I don't think dark or light makes as much difference as having a pattern does.
      I just made a quilt using flannel as the back, it is part plaid and part almost solid denim look and the quilting doesn't show at all on the plaid but really shows up a lot on the denim look flannel.

Comment

I seek the easiest, so take my advice with a grain of salt. If I can find a backing I don’t need to sew, I choose it.

Comment

I often choose a backing that will hide the quilting-so mistakes while FMQ or crooked lines while straight line or SITD quilting won't show as much. So, if I plan on using a light colored thread on top I use the same thread on bottom and will choose a lighter backing, if I plan to quilt with darker thread, I choose darker backing.
          One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Beth aka Asta

Comment

I think if any mistakes on your quilting will show up or not depends more on the color of your thread and if the thread is the same color as the backing. And I agree a printed backing is more forgiving. A backing wide enough that you don't have to piece would be a little less fussy, but piecing a back is actually not that much work so don't be afraid. It's not hard like (for me) putting a zipper in something lol.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

How do you attach batting and backing?

Comment

Originally posted by Emma90 View Post
                  How do you attach batting and backing?
                  Emma90....there are many different ways to make a quilt "sandwich". Here are a couple of youtube tutorials to help you decide what works for you!

https://youtu.be/x2akVq9m2NE - Jenny Doan

https://youtu.be/q3IZmFMIfd8 - Angela Walters

You can also search engine basting a quilt with pins, spray adhesive, needle and thread and even with pool noodles!

Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Comment

I love to use basting spray. It is so much faster than pinning or hand basting. It doesn't take much spray to fasten the backing to the batting and the batting to the front.

Comment

The color of the bobbin thread is the key to it showing mistakes. If you are quilting in navy blue with a white back it will show up much more than if you match your thread to the backing

Comment

Working...
                      X