What do you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think

I have never tried FMQ but I'd like to give it a go. Is there any reason to choose an open or closed foot - any other tips would be very welcome. I have a Janome machine so presumably best to go for one of their's.

Re: What do you think

I honestly don't know the answer. Do you have a darning foot that came with your machine? If so, I would try it on a practice sandwich first, before purchasing another foot. It is an adjustment, so don't get discouraged too quickly.

Comment

For me you can see better with an open toe, like if your doing a stitch in the ditch. I used to do a lot of applique and that would be all I used. You can get metal or plastic on most machines. Here's some videos on both, the title will tell you.
      "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Hi Sewuk

the open toe janome foot is cheaper than the janome convertible foot, both are metal construction where screw on, but the convertible does not bounce with the needle.
        the convertible offers more feet choices open, closed plastic, but needs to be checked on website to see if will fit your machine, I got the low shank and it fits the treadle, then just set the height and move the quilt, no dropping feed dogs needed.
        you can get a box of feet for low shank machines.
        I found the round bouncy foot was my go to after the open toe kept catching my *whotsit's while quilting, (*the correct words just disappeared from brain seam humps?) have now changed to the convertible round, but it all depends on your preference, budget and whether you like free motion.
        have fun choosing,
        T

edit:my pictures 13 convertible and 25 bouncy show the feet in use if that helps.
        Last edited by 201 Treadler; February 13th, 2020, 06:49 AM. Reason: added info

Comment

oops forgot the link

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...ot&FORM=HDRSC3
          "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

Hi,
            I have a 6600 MC. The FMQ attachment that came with it is an open toed foot that bounces up & down as it sews. I have only used it a few times,but it works well. I think you have to adjust your feed dogs to use. Your machine manual should be available on line,so you can look at what exactly you need.
            Blessings Kathy

Comment

Working...
            X