• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chelea
    Missouri Star
    • Mar 2012

A bad case of Quilter's Block

I recently joined a charity sewing group. We have what seems to be limitless fabric (and all of it very well organized) from which to choose, to make any sort of quilt our heart desires, at our own pace. A quilter's dream.

My challenge is deciding on a pattern. Even with all that fabric, there is next to no white/creamy/low volume neutrals for backgrounds. The vast majority of the fabric is approx 1 yard cuts, not even enough for a consistent print/color background without going totally scrappy, which isn't my forte. I've never made a Bonnie Hunter design, not sure that is something I want to get into at this point. Is there still hope? Any suggestions? Advice? I have quilter's block.
    TIA.
    Michele
    ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss
  • KarenC
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2015

Re: A bad case of Quilter's Block

Try going to a resale shop and see if they have any neutral sheets, I had faced the same issue a few years ago. Didn"t want to spend a lot of my own money, but found a king size cream sheet for a few bucks. There was lots of floral fabric scraps. I ended up just making simple 4 patches with 2,5 inch squares. Needed a border to make it bigger, so did a piano key border of more strip from more florals. I was shocked at the end result.
    Karen
    Spring, TX

Comment

• MHG Winnower
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2015

Choose fabrics in the same color way (colors that you love to work with) and intensity and do a disappearing nine-patch. Use a constant fabric in the center. Easy and quick quilt and the result looks complicated.
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• auntstuff
        Missouri Star
        • Nov 2017

So do a dark background instead.
        She who dies with the most quilts is......
        Still dead.
        What's your hurry?

Comment

• cjsews
          The Guild President
          • Jun 2016

Do a potato chip quilt with 2 colors. Use a third piece for the borders. Very quick quilt

Comment

• Nwmnteacher
            Missouri Star
            • Mar 2014

There are a lot of "5 yard" quilt patterns online. They use 1 yard each of 5 fabrics. I was just browsing through some of them last night.

Jeanne

Comment

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
              Missouri Star
              • Aug 2015

You might like to look at my album of Victoria quilts. These are simple patterns, and the 9patch border one I make has very little background. Now these are lap sizes 50-54" x 68-74".

You didn't mention a size but most of these can be made larger. One that is fast & popular to make is Square in a square.

Peek at my 2020 quilt tops. These don't have light neutrals, and use up small quantities of yardage.

Good luck.
              Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Comment

• MHG Winnower
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2015

I forgot about this one; it's one of my favorites. Great pattern, easy and colorful and best of all Free! https://www.quiltingdaily.com/Quilt/...tas-arrowhead/
                “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
                “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

• chelea
                  Missouri Star
                  • Mar 2012

Originally posted by MHG Winnower View Post
                  Choose fabrics in the same color way (colors that you love to work with) and intensity and do a disappearing nine-patch. Use a constant fabric in the center. Easy and quick quilt and the result looks complicated.
                  This is the pattern I just finished...it was my first thought too. I'd love to try the arrowhead pattern you linked. I'll have to spend some time choosing the right fabrics for good contrast. Thanks!
                  Last edited by chelea; February 10, 2020, 10:22 AM.
                  Michele
                  ~The Commonwealth of Massachusetts~
                  To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world ~Dr Seuss

Comment

• Carlie Wolf
                    Missouri Star
                    • Oct 2013

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post
                    You might like to look at my album of Victoria quilts. These are simple patterns, and the 9patch border one I make has very little background. Now these are lap sizes 50-54" x 68-74".

You didn't mention a size but most of these can be made larger. One that is fast & popular to make is Square in a square.

Peek at my 2020 quilt tops. These don't have light neutrals, and use up small quantities of yardage.

Good luck.
                    Just looked at your albums. Wow! Wow, Wow, Wow!!! Your quilts are amazing!
                    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
                    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• auntiemern
                      Missouri Star
                      • Mar 2012

Since it IS a charity quilt, buy fabric to go with what they have that you would like to use. You don't have to just use the fabrics that they provide. If I depended only on donated fabric to sew charity quilts....well I wouldn't get nearly as many done.
                      Also, what is the charity for? Baby quilts, kid quilts, quilts for cops? That is all relevant to the amount of fabric you need as well.
                      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                      sigpic

Comment

• Hulamoon
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by cjsews View Post
                        Do a potato chip quilt with 2 colors. Use a third piece for the borders. Very quick quilt

I looked that up and I thought those were called Bento Box. How did it get the name potato chip? Or what came first, Box or Chip? lol
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

• cjsews
                          The Guild President
                          • Jun 2016

Hula moon. I was told it is a potato chip quilt because they are so easy you can’t do just one.

Comment

• ktdid
                            The Guild President
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by SuzanneOrleansOntario View Post

Good luck.
                            You definitely need to see Suzanne's charity quilts, they're fantastic, I'm sure there will be something that you'll like
                            Kate (Oklahoma)
                            There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Working...
                            X