X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jean Sewing Machine
    replied
    Re: Ruler Foot trouble, tension problems? Need help

Just a thought because I use a long arm. On the longarm, you have to pull your bobbin thread to the top before you start stitching. Do you do this before starting? It could make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• am2901
    replied

Moepoe, since your thread makes a "strange thing" when you start sewing, maybe what you need is just a "leader." It's a small scrap of fabric to sew your first three or four stitches on, then pull the scrap back, out of the way, do not cut the thread, then start sewing on your project. Maybe the "loop" that you get will be on the leader instead of on your quilt. If this doesn't help, let us know so we can try to think of something else.

Leave a comment:

• Moepoe
    replied

Thank you all for your help

I did not have a top stich needle in hand but a embroidery needle for metallic it has a long eye to. It works now but I have found out that the main problem is that my sewing machine moves the rulerfoot up and down in the beginning until I have reached a specific speed. Until the foot moves up and down the thread makes this strange thing if I dont look out. I will work on it but the bigger needle helps a lot

Thank you very much

Leave a comment:

• oldmanquilts
    replied

I'm thinking the real problem is the needle type and size. The needle is pulling the "loop" too early. The same needle will produce different results between the hopping foot and ruler foot. The hopping foot allows the fabric to move on the upstroke so the loop is "adequate." The ruler foot doesn't allow as much movement of the fabric on the upstroke, so it pulls the loop early. Try at least a 90/14 size in a topstitch needle. They have the longest eye which allows the top thread a bit more time underneath.

Leave a comment:

• Moepoe
    replied

@Claire Hallman it does work perfekt with the hopping foot but if I change to a echo or ruler foot and change the menu settings for this foot I got this problem

@201 Treadler thank you again

Update: I think its a problem with a special feature of the machine. If I chance to fmq mode wich is for the echo or ruler foot (not the hopping foot) the foot will go up and down until I have reached a higher speed. The issue that is shown on the picture only happens when the foot does this up and down. I think I need to get used to it or look if I can turn this thing of

Leave a comment:

• 201 Treadler
    replied

I wonder if this youtube will be helpful,it is a different sewing machine, but your trying to achieve the stitch.
    sadly sewing quarter tv is no more, we were told on the telly 29th / 30th December 2019.

the 2 hours? start at 3 : 01: 07 but they show all what was show last june.
    3:16 they show the glider
    3:20 is where the ruler foot is taken off and re attached https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lalybj1j3c
    am hoping this helps you,
    good luck
    T

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

Does it work OK with your regular hopping foot? I think I would try and see if you can fmq normally then change to the ruler foot and see if it works right.

Leave a comment:

• Moepoe
    replied

Thank you 201 Treadler, I will try the stitch settings on Zero, that is a thing I did not have tried.
    Maybe I should add more Informations.

The sewing machine is a Pfaff Performance I need to select the free motion modus, I can lower the foot. The problem is still there in all different foot heights even if I cant move the quiltsandwich properly because the foot is to low.

Leave a comment:

• 201 Treadler
    replied

Welcome to the forum Moepoe
    heres some ideas for you to try.
    go back to normal sewing settings
    ensure there no fluff in the bobbin area, if there is use a vacuum, being careful not to vacuum any screws you may of taken out, once done never forgotton

then set the stitch length and width to zero
    leave the feed dogs, (teeth that move back and forth) UP,
    setting the stitch to zero makes them bob up and down rather than back and forth, try sewing with you moving the fabric

inspect the needle feel if there a burr on end, you can normally hear a little thud when needs changing,
    change needle if still giving bother, try a jeans needle, quilting needle, or even a metallic needle, the holes for the thread are different dependant on the thread how it copes ect.

if needle over 8 hrs of stitch time change, ensure right way. check to see if still tight and fully home.

Check bobbin, replace for another and test same results switch back.

if your presser bar can be adjusted think about leaving in normal sewing setting, keep testing and adjusting presser bar.

the ruler foot and none bounce feet need to be at certain heights to create a perfect stitch a micron either up or down of presser bar setting once tensions are set can alter the whole stitch. is your ruler foot adjustable?
    has the attachment screw for ruler foot come undone?

Am no expert just trial and error of my own set up,
    I sew on a 201 treadle straight stitch machine, it has drop able feed dogs but it makes a better free motion stitch with them left up, i now use a none bounce metal fm foot, (due to oil and plastic ageing the bouncy foot it split at attachment point) in normal sewing mode with stitch length zero. there be no width stitch setting on these

hope this helps you rather than confuses
    good luck
    T
    Last edited by 201 Treadler; February 7th, 2020, 08:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Moepoe
    started a topic Ruler Foot trouble, tension problems? Need help :(

Ruler Foot trouble, tension problems? Need help :(

Hello

I have a problem with my ruler foot or every other freemotion wuilting foot for my machine. Except the foot that jumps and has a spring.
    I have this trouble since the first day and dont know why my sewingmachine does this. My first error was that my tension was to high for the thread i used. So I tried out Aurifil and this was the first time my ruler foot worked, I was so happy. And I have recognized that the needle thread tension was to high with the other thread.
    I thought that was my mistake but today I wanted to practice again. Same needle, same thread, same settings, I have not done anything with the sewing machine, just turn it off and on again and the problem I have is back again.

Problem: The Needle pulls up a loop and I need to cut my work free...unfortunately I have the same Color for the bobbin thread because I only own one color Aurifil...
    Can someone tell my what could be the reason for this knot?

ruler foot.jpg

Tank you
Working...
X