Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Motion Quilting Question

Hey Quilting Friends!
    I am getting ready to FMQ for the first time. Just a quick question, I plan on doing the background fabric in white, but the layer cake I used for the pattern is different colors (Rainbow). Should I do a different color for each block or should I continue with white over the whole quilt?

Going to finish getting the boarders and baste tonight, hope to start quilting tomorrow. I'll try to post a pic once the boarder is on!

TIA!!

Re: Free Motion Quilting Question

Have fun with the process. Make some practice sandwiches to try out your FMQ. Show us what your working on.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

HI and welcome to the forum. Your quilt your rules. Spool out the white thread over all the rainbow colors. If you like how it looks go for it. If the white doesn't feel right, spool out all the colors you have until you find one that feels right to you. Beige or grey can be a good neutral choice. And oddly enough a golden shade of yellow bridges well over multiple colors.
      Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I use the same color thread for the whole quilt. Your practice sandwich should include the same backing material as that in the quilt, so you get an idea of how it's going to look on the back of the quilt. I usually do all over, edge-to-edge FMQ since it's quicker & easier. But I'm currently custom quilting one. It really depends on the quilt pattern, who the recipient is, how much time & effort I want to devote to the quilting. I normally do a different FMQ design in the border. I have several of Angela Walters' books & have watched many of her tutorials; I use a lot of her designs. You also can get ideas from YouTube. Tracey Russell has a lot of great ideas. Practice the design on a white board or paper to develop muscle memory. Good luck with your project.

Comment

When I use same color on top and back of quilt, my machine just hums along with the stitches, try and use two different colors (same mfg of thread, etc) and the machine wants to throw a tension tantrum, bottom thread peaking too much on top and vice versa. Figure if both are same color it is not so obvious. And I still try and get some kind of pattern material for the back, also hides my quilting boo boo's. Some day I will be brave and use a solid backing.

Comment

In my opinion, colors are your choice. Since this is your first ti mm e, I do recommend same color thread top and bobbin, and be sure to practice first on a practice sandwich.

Comment

If this is your first time FMQ... i think you will find it less stressful using the same color thread throughout... just my thinking... Have fun! A new journey is about to begin.... this is something that "the more you do, the better you get" Hugs, GB
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Definitely practice first so you can check your tension.

Good rule of thumb - if the thread looks good on top but not the bottom, its usually the top tension that needs adjusting. If the top thread looks bad, the bottom tension needs adjusting.

Always check tension when you change bobbins - something may not be right and you don't want to "unquilt" all that quilting!
                Vonnie

Comment

Working...
                X