Is there a difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a difference?

I see the terms paper piecing, foundation paper piecing and foundation piecing. Are these all terms for the same thing as the terms seem to be used interchangeably or all they different techniques? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
    Debbie

Re: Is there a difference?

You can use any material for your foundation in foundation piecing. For example you could use muslin, or velum, or freezer paper, or paper. Freezer paper can be applied to the back side of the fabric, or the front side of the fabric. If the freezer paper is applied to the front side of the fabric it uses a radically different technique from typical paper piecing.

So paper piecing is a subset of foundation piecing. All paper piecing is foundation pieced.

Freezer paper foundation piecing when the freezer paper is applied to the back side is done similar to paper piecing. The difference is you keep the freezer paper folded back along the seam line and sew right next to the freezer paper, not through the freezer paper. The fabric temporarily sticks to the freezer paper but the freezer paper easily pulls away. A freezer paper foundation can be reused approx 8 times before it wears out and doesn't stick well anymore.

Freezer paper foundation piecing applied to the front side is a different technique, but is still considered foundation piecing. The freezer paper templates are cut out finished size without the seam margin and is ironed to the front side of the fabric. The fabric is then cut out including the 1/4" seam margin. You then sew the pieces together peeking inside to see that the freezer paper corners are correctly aligned.

What is the difference between paper piecing and English paper piecing?
    The paper pieces are removed when the shapes are sewn in on all sides and they can be reused for another project. Foundation Paper Piecing on the other hand is generally done by sewing machine. The pattern, usually a whole block, is drafted directly on a sheet of foundation paper (or piece of muslin fabric).
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Denise - I knew you would be able to answer this. I have done some paper piecing on paper and have also done a couple blocks with freezer paper of the back of blocks. But haven't tried it on any other medium. Thanks for clearing this up for me!
      Debbie

Comment

I have a friend that uses her old sheets for her foundation for her crazy quilts. They are so scrappy and she builds them from the center out. I've never tried it. I kind of want to, but I'm kind of scared to since she's not around here to help me if I screw up.
        Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
        ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Katrina, just go for it! To build your confidence, take a piece of muslin that is perhaps the size of a fat quarter. Starting somewhere near the center, pin a scrap of fabric (pretty side facing up) to the foundation. Take a scrap of another fabric and place it (pretty side down) on top of the first scrap, aligning one edge. Sew a 1/4" seam through all three layers. Flip the top fabric over, covering the seam allowance. Working outward toward the edge of the foundation, add a third scrap in the same way. To give it that improvisational look, place the scraps at random angles. If you've never done foundation piecing, look for a tutorial on string piecing. Once you are comfortable with the concept of how it is constructed, just start placing your scraps any which way, not just as strips. If you want to give it a crazy quilt look, you could do some fancy stitching over each seam. Make yourself a placemat. If you like the process, then take an old sheet and dive into a larger project.

Comment

Working...
          X