tangled bobbin thread at start of seam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tangled bobbin thread at start of seam

I have a Janome machine with a drop-in bobbin, and have noticed lately that nearly every seam I start when piecing has the bobbin thread tangled up in the stitches on the bottom side for the first half inch or so. Any ideas what causes this? I've cleaned several times, rethreaded several times, watched videos to make sure I have the bobbin loaded right.

I'm also finding that I have to have the upper tension quite high to get even stitches - much higher than I used to. Today, I'm struggling to get the tension balanced at all. (I do have a brand-new needle in.)

Interestingly...on the very first seam I sew after dropping in the bobbin, there's little to no nesting. On subsequent seams, there it is. I do use the automatic thread cutter when I end a seam, and I"m wondering if that is somehow leaving the bobbin tail in a bad position.

The next step I'm considering is adjusting the bottom tension, but I wanted to check here for advice first. Thank you!
    Last edited by wecoan; January 1st, 2020, 12:29 PM. Reason: typo

Re: tangled bobbin thread at start of seam

It is cutting the bobbin thread too short.
    K is for Karen 😊​..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

Don’t use the thread cutter or use a leader and chain piece.

Comment

I never use the thread cutter on my machines and always pull the top and bottom threads to the back when I start sewing or use a leader and ender.

https://www.allpeoplequilt.com/how-t...p-when-you-sew
        ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric and then sow it back together again? Really?"

Comment

Unfortunately they’re right - the thread cutter cuts the thread too short and it tangles at the start. I have a Janome too, and have the same issue. Disappointing, because I love the theory. I have wondered if it’s a Janome problem or if all thread cutters do that.

I have had the tension issue too. Double check your bobbin, maybe even change bobbins, and check to be sure it’s seated right and going through the tension spring correctly . My machine sometimes gets finicky when the bobbin gets low on thread. Double check your top threading too. If you decide you need to adjust the bobbin tension, make very small adjustments, a little bit makes a big difference. Good luck!
          sigpicIf you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, nobody is going to notice it.

Comment

I have a Pfaff (Passport 3.0) and the thread was also being cut too short as well. I had to keep rethreading the needle every few times I used it. When I had it serviced, I asked them to adjust it. The thread is now being cut a little longer and is working properly.
            Maria

Comment

Remove your throat plate. Clean/delint your feed dogs. I hope this resolves your issue. Happy New Year!
              Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I sew on an old vintage Singer 15-91 and sometimes have bobbin thread tangles too. However, when I use leaders and enders I never have that problem. I've made severeal "extra" quilts from my leaders and enders.
                sigpicLynne in central Illinois

Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

As others have mentioned, it's likely the cause is the auto-cutter leaving the tails too short. Using leaders/enders will control tension on both threads at the beginning of a seam, but I find that holding just the top thread adequate to eliminate the mess at the start.

Originally posted by wecoan View Post
                  Interestingly...on the very first seam I sew after dropping in the bobbin, there's little to no nesting. On subsequent seams, there it is.
                  That's due to the bobbin thread is captured by the cutting slot when first loading a bobbin.

Adjusting bobbin thread tension? Not on a top-loading Janome. Bobbin tensioning is automatic and can't be adjusted without procedures NOT specified by Janome. Be sure you bobbin thread is under this spring when threading. Placing the plastic cover on/in the needle plate will create the tension.

When you remove the needle plate and bobbin case for cleaning, make sure you "floss" under the spring. Lint under the spring will change tension. Your problem isn't tension, but control of the threads at the start of a seam is.
                  You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Thank you, everyone!! I started using a leader, as suggested, and it at least keeps the tangle off my blocks! I'm also going to try giving the feed dogs and bobbin spring area a good cleaning, as suggested. I'm sure I missed those spots in my cleaning.

Comment

So much information in this thread. And haha, a pun right there.

Comment

I have a janome 7700 and use my thread cutter all the time - I love it! But I also use leaders (and sometimes enders when not using the thread cutter option). By using a leader I eliminate issues with tangled thread on the back of my quilt pieces.
                        Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I have a Janome 8900, and I also use leaders to eliminate the bobbin "tangle".

Comment

I'm kind of relieved to hear that others have the same experience!

Comment

fluff springs to mind, under throat plate as already mentioned, if no fluff try

holding both threads with one hand at the rear when starting

chain piecing but start the first unit about 1/2 reverse back and just continue adding more units trim with clippers while a half sewn unit is under foot just keep chain piecing, adding in a leader or ender ( a unit for another quilt.)
                              hope it resolves for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X