Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura Heine Collage quilt question, part 2

Anyone done a collage quilt?

Just finished quilting the Laura Heine “Featherweight “ quilt (Hallelujah!) and was wondering if there are any special tips for the binding given the amount of layers and adhesive in some areas of the border. I usually hand bind my quilts - wondering if that will be a lot harder than machine binding. Also I usually use 2.5 inch binding strips - wondering if wider would be better.
    I would welcome any suggestions on this final step. (Can’t wait to finish this bad boy!)

Thanks!
    Donna

Re: Laura Heine Collage quilt question, part 2

I have a Laura Heine pattern that I haven't started, but I wondered the same thing. I think that using a facing rather than a binding is what I will do when the time comes. I don't think my arthritic hands would be able to stitch through all that adhesive. Plus, I think a facing approach will give a cleaner look to something I intend to hang on the wall. Hope this helps you decide what to do.

Comment

I'm working on Garden Party now. You make twelve 20" blocks. I have one almost done. I'll let you know if I ever get to the binding.
      pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

My collage pattern was of a fox...only the fox had the adhesive. Appliqued the fox to the background in the middle, leaving the edges free of adhesive. Quilted this myself with no problems, just wiped adhesive off needle with alcohol swab occasionally. This was a lot of fun.
        Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

In the past week, I read that if you are quilting one of her quilts yourself, on your home machine, if you press it often, it warms up and softens the adhesive and the needle will go thru much easier.
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
          X