Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this tool? It appears to be for sewing, not quilting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is this tool? It appears to be for sewing, not quilting.

My MIL taught me how to use the one I have....and I use it a lot. Of course, my MIL was the one that taught me how to sew when my daughter was 4 months old.....and she actually taught me how to sew over the telephone!!! We lived in IL at the time (DH was in college) and he purchased the sewing machine for me for my B-day...and I laughed when I opened it because I had never sewn anything at all!!! The next weekend (after my B-Day) we went home to Michigan and took the sewing machine with us and my MIL (Bless her heart, she's 92 yrs old and still knitting and sewing!) showed me how to run the machine, and took me to the fabric store and taught me how to purchase fabric and patterns. That started me sewing for my daughter and sons....I made everything my daughter wore until she graduated high-school (save for blue jeans and some clothing she purchased for herself). Every time I make something I smile thinking about how wonderful it was to have a MIL like I have and that she taught me to sew.
    Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

You are blessed, Sugar!

Comment

The notches are to mark the measurement on fabrics, etc.
        Last edited by ktdid; December 26th, 2019, 03:12 AM.
        When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Well, that tool seems useful! Thanks for the information. I am now just venturing a very little into sewing. Thanks, JCY, for the excellent tip on using this for binding.

Comment

I certainly have a hem guide (or two or three) and don't find myself using them. I tend to eyeball after all these years of sewing garments, etc. If you don't have one, and don't want to purchase another tool, checkout this tut by the Crafty Gemini....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzp482SZfzY
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I love these gauges. Have 2, one was my mother's and the other my grandmothers. Both still have their sliders. Dang, never thought to use them for the binding...you all are so smart!
              Sandy B.
              "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Comment

Aww, I still have one or two of those that my mom let me take when I moved into my own apartment. What a fun walk down memory lane.
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

This may be my favorite tool. I've used it for so many things! I have one in my craft room that I use when I'm scrapbooking or making cards. It's perfect for lining up things so they're straight. Great to use for centering things too. I've had one since I started sewing, more years ago than I care to count!

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                    Not true! It is a seam gauge. I use mine all the time when I turn over the binding to pin it in place. By having the same width hem, I can sew SITD on the front of the quilt & have it catch very nicely on the back side of the quilt.
                    Wow, great tip. I have to use this for bindings. Thank you!!!
                    Karen
                    Life is short - Live everyday to the fullest

Comment

I have two of those...... now if only I could find either one. I'm pretty sure that one dates back to the early 80's when I first got into sewing on my own in high school.
                      Maria

Comment

I just checked this thread again. So many good responses. Can you believe it, almost 1,000 Forum members have viewed this one?!

Comment

I discovered I have 4 of these things, and one actually has a METAL slider.
                          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Working...
                          X