Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this tool? It appears to be for sewing, not quilting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this tool? It appears to be for sewing, not quilting.

71A13B3D-5DBB-4B17-BFBA-A40F364C5664.jpeg

Thank you.

Re: What is this tool? It appears to be for sewing, not quilting.

Not true! It is a seam gauge. I use mine all the time when I turn over the binding to pin it in place. By having the same width hem, I can sew SITD on the front of the quilt & have it catch very nicely on the back side of the quilt.

Comment

I love my seam guage. I use mine to double check my 1/4" seams all the time.
      I am going to try JCY's binding use.

Comment

Yep. A seam guide. I have always used it in turning hems and such when sewing garments. Did not think to use it in quilting. Thanks ladies

Comment

Seam gauge, hem measuring, distance between buttons, and anything else you need to measure. I have 3 of them and still use them. Easy to stuff in a pocket and keep handy. And you can scribe a pretty even circle using the hole in the corner. Scallops too.
          Last edited by auntstuff; December 24th, 2019, 09:33 AM.
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Oh yes, a gauge. i used to make clothing and used it more then. still have one though.

Comment

And who still has that little blue slider. Mine always went missing in the middle of night.
              Lorie
              🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Are you kidding I have three and use them all the time. Mine have little red sliders and they are all still intact. An oldie but goodie.

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                  And who still has that little blue slider. Mine always went missing in the middle of night.
                  Still have sliders in all 3, and one of them is 30 years old.
                  TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

So glad others chimed in. I felt old for a second. I love mine!

Comment

I used the seam guide a lot when I sewed garments. One of them belonged to my grandmother, so it's old. I haven't used for quilting, but I guess I could b

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Your post got me to wondering just how old mine is so I had to figure it out. As much as I hate to admit it, it is 53 years old and still has the slider. I bought a new one a while back, but the quality is not as good. It is not as heavy and it actually bent. New is not always better.

Comment

Indeed, new is often inferior. I found that out when I gave my pressing ham and seam roll to my step-daughter. When I went to replace them, I learned that Dritz has reduced the size by quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Newbie View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]161844[/ATTACH]
                            Does anyone know why this seam gauge has notches at each inch? I've never seen another ruler with notches like this. Is there a specific use for the notches, other than to draw attention to the inch measurements?

Comment

I think it's simply to make it easier to see the inch measurements, much as a cutting mat has lines every inch.

Comment

Working...
                              X