The Missouri star block quilt, need some help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Missouri star block quilt, need some help please

I’m trying to do Jenny’s tutorial and I can’t get my my points to look right when I sew the 1/4 square blocks onto the centre block.
    I’ve even checked to see if the American 1/4 inch is the same as ours (it is lol) I know finished is better than perfect but I’m trying to get it right.

Please help

Re: The Missouri star block quilt, need some help please

Well I can't really help you but wanted to tell you, you are not alone. I made that block a couple years ago and I can't remember the problem I had except I was not satisfied with how it turned out so I decided I was NOT making an entire quilt of blocks like that! Hope someone can help you figure it out.

Comment

I’ve made quite a number of these blocks and some turned out better than others. I think I finally have enough good blocks to make a quilt top! It does take practice. Good luck!

Comment

Posting a pic will help us see what’s going on so we can better help you.

Comment

I was in a group project once where we all made the Missouri Star block. I remember that it was a bit of a challenge and very few of us were totally happy with our blocks. Make sure that your seams are accurate and sew a slightly scant seam. Good luck.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

If you'd like perfect accuracy on a tricky block like the Missouri Star, it might take an investment in specialty tools. I have two that I would suggest.

1. Guidelines4Quilting. This is a specialty ruler developed by a husband and wife who were engineers, not quilters (why they tackled quilting, I'm not sure). They determined that the 1/8" wasn't an accurate measurement for creating HSTs and QSTs, it was simply the smallest measurement that rulers could provide. So they developed a non-slip ruler with a guide that you attach that gives you the perfect measurement. You start with your finished size and slap on one of these extensions to get the perfect cut size for making a square, a half-square triangle, or a quarter-square triangle. Each guide is engineered perfectly, so you get perfect results. They even offer a little plastic tool that helps you feed your fabric at a perfect scant 1/4". https://www.guidelines4quilting.com/

2. Deb Tucker's Studio 180 Designs. Another engineer, but Deb is a prolific quilter! Deb creates tools that save fabric because you cut slightly oversized triangles using her tools, line up your seams perfectly using her tools, and trim to the proper size using her tools. No more throwing away almost half your fabric! She creates a tool for practically any design you can think of. For a Missouri Star block, you would need to purchase two of her tools: Square2 (pronounced Square Squared) for the center and the Tucker Trimmer I or Tucker Trimmer II for the QSTs. My only warning for the Tucker Tools is that all her directions deal with FINISHED sizes, and I always think in CUT sizes. So I'm super careful when reading her directions. I use Post-It notes to point to the proper column in her charts, and I've even been known to re-write her directions to make more sense to my brain. https://deb-tuckers-studio-180-design.myshopify.com/

I see that you're in Wales, so I apologize for suggesting things that would require expensive shipping. You might contact each of these manufacturers and see if there are any UK shops that carry their products.
            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

@Bubby wheaten Scottie called Alys has joined our family ❤️Click image for larger version

Name:	0E2D9DEC-8EF2-45F9-953F-2E87CC1D52EB.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1617852
              Last edited by Iolosdad; December 19th, 2019, 02:56 PM. Reason: Photo failed to attach

Comment

Fingers crossed this works
                Click image for larger version

Name:	3945AAA9-1D61-443F-A368-EB70536FDE25.jpeg
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	1617849Click image for larger version

Name:	9480E0EA-AEE3-489E-8AA9-DE25FE5F8371.jpeg
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1617850Click image for larger version

Name:	49DEEDB4-9B47-47F0-BF96-09109F3EBC9C.jpeg
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	1617851

Comment

Thanks for that Guitar Gramma I’ll find if if they have European stockists, Shipping tax and fees make shopping from the US very expensive lol

Comment

Did you square up each sub unit? There is mention of the technique in the written tutorial for specific size.

Check the 1/4 inch seam again. You may to move the needle over one click to allow for thread width on the blocks.

Put a straight pin through the intersection of the top unit. Put the point into the intersection of the bottom unit that you need to match.The pin heels keeps the points lined up. They might be shifting when they go through the machine.

Another tip: You can use a drop of school glue on these intersections. Let dry and then stitch.

Comment

Working...
                    X