Polka Dots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polka Dots

I'm not a polka dot person. Polka dots give me creative block big time. Going through my scraps and stash I've found more polka dots then I ever thought I could possibly have.

I need ideas of what to do with them. I mostly have pastel or slight darker shades in all sizes, small, med and med large. I have to find something to make with them and that's difficult when you just aren't a polka dot person. Any ideas??? Are there any designs or projects where you can get the various colors and sizes play nice together???

Inquiring anti polka dot minds want to know!!! It's going to be my project for after the holidays
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Re: Polka Dots

How about some simple 9 patches... then you could say you put the round pegs in the square holes
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Can't help.....I love polka dots!
      “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
      “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

I have the grunge polka dots layer cake. I am making a little monster quilt for my 2 mo old GS using the LC for a base and flipping some over to backsides (which look mostly solid) to cut out the applique monsters. You could also sew pieces in rows and make a wide strip of polka dots for a quilt back. Some polka dots are harder to use if they are neon colors and dots are white, those are not my favorite ones, I like the color on color bc they are not so in your face, if that makes sense. Good luck.

Comment

I love polka dots and try to add some to every quilt, mostly pin dots. I think they add a lot of interest, especially in baby quilts. I made one with only dots by putting 4 squares together and cutting circles from the 4 patches, then appliqueing onto white back ground squares. I quilted it with circles inside of circles. Really was adorable and got rave reviews from a circle loving Grandma.

Comment

I had to grin big when I read this. I have sooo many dots! I have them from making childrens clothes. I have yet to translate them to quilts though. I do remember looking around a long time ago. I'll see if I saved any on me Pinterest pages.
            Lorie
            🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I did save a couple! This is the ultimate way to use up those dots

dot strings.jpg
              Lorie
              🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Hulamoon, , that is a very "happy looking quilt" That should give Carlie at least a starting point.

Comment

Originally posted by KPH View Post
                  How about some simple 9 patches... then you could say you put the round pegs in the square holes
                  This make me lol!

How about an Irish chain? Or alternate the polka dots with white or a solid color. I think polka dots are happy looking.

Comment

Minnie Mouse Sue!
                    TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I always thought this baby quilt using polka dots was cute:
                      https://youtu.be/2_zfloh0gUM

Comment

So since you don't like them use them for Christmas presents, Bowl covers, zipper pouches, notebook covers, dog/cat beds or toys.
                        sigpic

Comment

I'm working on a polka dot quilt right now. Guild's quilt show challenge theme is polka dots and spots this year. I'm doing "Polka Dot Bikini Quilt"- pattern by Color Girl Quilts. Also search "polka dot bikini images. Lots of pretties there.There's is some piecing, so maybe I'll hate polka dots by then. Always loved them though.

The pattern is fairly well written and concise when required. !0" squares are ideal. It comes with template (think Drunkard's Path) line drawings, and they are sized accurately. I cut mine from 1/8 lexan. Like I said... a bit of piecing, and maybe organization beyond my comprehension, but do-able if you are that person. It kinda has a feel of DWR if you squint. Might be an option for you.

I wouldn't call it complicated but I have a way of making something more complex than necessary if I have to rely on my organizational skills. I finished a test block before I decided to proceed. If I find a pic...
                          Last edited by oldmanquilts; November 9th, 2019, 09:15 PM.
                          You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Saved this image years ago by Red Pepper Quits but now can't find a pattern for it Lots of dots!! Will keep looking

dotty quilt see Red Pepper quilt.jpg

Comment

https://www.redpepperquilts.com/2009...l-details.html

Think this is the pattern but looks different because of the stand-out white on the previous image but, oh my, didn't realise it was so labour-intensive!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X