Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you presssesms openwithout burning your fingers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you presssesms openwithout burning your fingers?

I am usually too lazy to press seams open, but when I must I scorch my fingers, especially on small blocks. How do you do it?

Edited to correct all those typos, but find you can’t change title. Sorry!

Re: How do you presssesms openwithout burning your fingers?

I finger press first; then all it takes is a little guidance of the fingers with the iron following.
    Barbara

Comment

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...lapper-20-long

I use a product similar to this

Comment

Turn off the steam.

Comment

I use the strip stick. Once you open one edge with your fingers the strip stick encourages the rest of the seam to fall open naturally so you don't have to run your finger along the whole seam. Most importantly because the surface is raised up the other seams that the iron crosses when ironing don't get flipped over like they do when ironing the seam open on a flat surface. It comes in three sizes

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...18-strip-stick
          Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I usually finger press small pieces, and I love my wooden presser tool for larger seams.

Quilter's Rules:
            #1 Buy fabric - no matter how much you already have.
            #2 Sew all day and all night - no cooking allowed.
            #3 Start a new quilt before the last one is finished - must return to #1.

Comment

It is pretty easy to make a pressing "stick", just take a fat dowel or broom stick and add some padding/cover and voila!

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                It is pretty easy to make a pressing "stick", just take a fat dowel or broom stick and add some padding/cover and voila!
                I was tasked with making vestment stoles and that's exactly what I did, so that the edges would be really crisp and straight without topstitching (the person asking for the commission requested no TS). Now I use it for pretty much all my long straight seams.

Comment

I have blue silicone finger cots that I keep in a little ashtray with stray pins etc. by my iron. Use on your index fingers. I think I got them at JoAnn's in the notions. They last a long time if you don't misplace them in your sewing room.

Comment

I have one of those Clover irons that looks like a long stick with a 1" tiny iron on the end. I use it--unplugged and cold--to open the seam, followed closely with a full-size steam iron. My fingers are safely out of the way.
                    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I am a big fan of the Strip sticks too. Clover also has a couple handy tools, the Iron Finger and a Precision Stiletto. They are both heat resistant and you can use them to seams open.

Comment

Another vote for the strip stick here!

Comment

I made a strip stick from 2 pieces of quarter round. I made a casing with batting and an old silver ironing board cover. It gave me a little more top surface than a dowel rod.

Comment

The recent Hexified class used the Clover Roll & Press with excellent results. Might be useful!

Clover Roll and Press

Comment

Anyone want to trade my Strip Stick for CG Log Cabin ruler

Comment

Working...
                              X