Best Pattern for Silk Velvet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Pattern for Silk Velvet?

I was gifted more than 10 yards of silk velvet, in almost a dozen colors, ranging between 1/2yd to about a full yard. I think I'd really like to try my hand at making it into a quilt.
    IMG-6997.jpg

Any suggestions on which block patterns (and/or block size) might work best with silk velvet? What could I use as a backing fabric?

Thanks, in advance.

Re: Best Pattern for Silk Velvet?

Beautiful fabrics, I think I would just cut it into random squares or rectangles and put it back together with black sashing sort of Mondrian like. I probably would back it with minkee and not use batting. Being silk it will require very gentle hand washing. I would also probably hand quilt it.

Comment

The fabrics are so beautiful! I've never worked with it before, so I wouldn't have an idea where to start. I love Claire's idea!
      Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
      ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Your new silk velvets are GORGEOUS! What a treasure.

I believe that Crazy Quilts were originally done with velvet fabrics. You might want to read about some of the history of that pattern. One thought that comes to mind is that velvet can be stretchy, so a lightweight stabilizer might help you piece your beautiful new velvets.
        Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Crazy quilt with lots of lace and ribbon added, with hand embroidery. Man I WISH!
          TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

Gorgeous fabrics! My only suggestion is beware what you mark it with, if you need to mark anything on it. Water used to remove some markers will ruin the texture of the silk and leave permanent spots and stains. Also be careful with pins as they also will leave marks behind. My first thought was a fancy crazy quilt, but I love the idea of smashing with black, too. Enjoy and please share when finished!

Comment

Shashing.......not smashing!

Comment

You might want to use a needle board for pressing or at least a thick towel. Velvet smashes easily.....crushes.

Comment

Its actually best to just hang it and steam it if you don't have a needle board.
                  TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

What lush fabric and wonderful colors. Maybe a cathedral window? But I think you would have to use muslin or cotton for the white part bc of the thickness of the velvet plus you might run out of the white velvet for that part if you do cath window. Please show us what you choose and also a pic of your finished quilt.

Comment

I did do a bit a research before I asked my question, and it appears that the crazy quilt patchwork style is what a preponderance of people did/do with silk (first with just the scraps they had, and then with people cutting up silk velvet into scraps pieces).

While that look is pretty spectacular, I was hoping to create more unique (for silk) symmetry, in cuts as well as blocks, since I have whole yardages. Hmmm, I maybe didn't title my post properly. Maybe instead of "Best" I should have written "Innovative"? "Creative"?

Thank you, jjkaiser, for your suggestion. And I think you're right, using a different fabric, other than velvet, for the window frame parts is a great idea.
                      Last edited by Thayer Abaigael; October 7th, 2019, 05:30 AM.

Comment

I saw a picture of one that was done in white velvet, some of the blocks were embroidered with seed pearls. Maybe some inspiration in that.

Comment

Your posts have caused me to pause and wonder. Why were silks and velvet used in crazy quilts and not in the traditional pieced blocks like churn dash, etc.? Could it be that without modern stabilizers, velvet was not suitable for these blocks? Or was the nap in the velvet too challenging to piece properly, like a directional print? This is a fascinating discussion.

Can't wait to hear what you decide!
                          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Pieced blocks like the churn dash need pressing with every seam, and I don't know how you could press all the seams if they are velvet, it is usually a little stretchy and the nap on it can be easily ruined wothout a pressing cloth, but then it is hard to see what you are doing. I see a few sample blocks in your future! I think you will just have to try a few things out and see what happens. I looked on Pinterest and 99% of the pics were crazy quilts but one was just patchwork squares sewed together and I actually liked that one better, but I tend to like very simple patterns.

Comment

Hmmm, yes, the ironing and the directional piecing may, indeed, make silk overly complicated for general consumption. I'm not completely daunted, yet, though.

I feel like if I underline everything, in a plain broadcloth, it would give it more stability. Yes, it would be kind of like doubling the workload, but the thought of a velvet quilt is soooo sumptuous.

Comment

Working...
                              X