Pre-wash flannel precuts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-wash flannel precuts?

The Four Square quilt in today's tutorial is darling!! I love the idea of mixing the flannel squares with the quilting cotton, but in my experience flannel shrinks so badly. Maybe I've only used cheap flannel I know it's not generally advised to pre-wash precuts, but what would you recommend for this quilt?

Re: Pre-wash flannel precuts?

I never wash precuts, even flannel ones. Cheap flannel does shrink more than good quality flannel.

Jeannette

Comment

I agree with CraftyJnet! I am a dedicated pre-washer, but I never, ever, ever wash pre-cuts—even flannel ones!
      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

I am suddenly drawing a blank here, is it Maywood Studios? Anyways I have used the Woolies flannel many times that Jenny used in her video from today. It is top of the line high quality, I did not prewash even full ydg and it barely shrunk at all. So if you are just buying new flannel that brand is highly recommended for low shrinkage.

Comment

JoAnns has a new flannel in the stores that doesn't shrink, and is really soft. The prints are called Super Snuggle, and the solids are Comfy Cozy (I think!)

Comment

Nope, I never prewash any of my precuts, not even the flannel ones.
            Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Comment

I did prewash a flannel charm pack once. The squares were pinked so I didn’t worry about unraveling. I was making a quick baby playmat and wanted a lattice look with 1.5 cotton strips and I was afraid about variable shrinkage. So I washed yard of fabric and flannel. It was hard to iron those squares back into flatness, but I did like quilt. The pinking made this event possible.

Comment

Working...
              X