Do Batiks have selvedges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Batiks have selvedges?

I just opened my first Batik Jelly Roll. The strips do not appear to have selvedges. Is this true? Nothing to cut off? (sorry if this is a stupid question.)

Jeannette

Re: Do Batiks have selvedges?

I have never seen a jelly roll of any type of fabric include the selvages. Have you come across that before?
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

No I haven't. This might be the first Jelly Roll I've opened. Good to know. Thank you.

Jeannette

Comment

The ends of the jelly roll strips are usually selvedge. Batiks have selvedges but they often aren't as wide and obvious as other fabrics.
        *~* Myrna *~*
        *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

There should be selvedge. Batiks usually have colour to the edge, so not as tightly woven as regular cottons.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Oh, your talking about the ends lol
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

I swear almost all my JR have a selvedge on the narrow end even batiks. Don't make me go look tho, my box of opened JR looks like the aftermath of a tornado.

Comment

There are some batiks, even in yardage, that I have a hard time figuring out where the selvage is.
                Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I agree that if you REALLY look you see that batiks have selvages, but they are so subtle that I usually just take into account that I will be using a 1/4 inch seem and really won't notice it. Therefore, I rarely cut them off, unless it is when I am squaring the fabric up.
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

My eyes aren't sharp enough to see a difference and I can't feel a difference in the weave. I guess I will just play it safe and trim the ends. Thank you everyone.

Jeannette

Comment

There are definitely selvedges on Batiks, even in a Jelly Roll. But each is the same color as the rest of the strip, and I don't think the selvedge is more than 1/4" wide. I can feel it better than I can see it, and I do trim them off, even on a Jelly Roll.
                      Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

There definitely are selvedges on batiks because they are woven fabric. Selvedges shrink a different amount than the rest of the fabric so I cut them off even if I can't see them. I cut about 1/2" off. Better safe than puckers in your seams.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Batiks are processed in vats and the fabrics are soaked. That's why it's hard to see the selvages, but they're definitely there. If you look close, sometimes the edges look fuzzy. Anyway, here's a great video on how they're made. It's long, but so fascinating.

Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Fascinating!

How is it possible that we pay less than $15/yard for this labor intensive process?!?!

A few years ago, I started a BOM at our LQS. They made an announcement that there would be no more fabric available for the previous year's BOM. Tragically, everyone in the family who'd made that fabric had died in the Tsunami that had hit Indonesia. There was an audible gasp. It was so sad.
                            Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Working...
                            X