Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone make a dresden block that fits on a 10" square?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone make a dresden block that fits on a 10" square?

Hi - I'd like to make the dresden block and I'd like it to fit on a 10" square. Does anyone have measurements on how big to cut the dresden blades so that it'll fit? In one of Jenny's tutorials, she uses the 5" charms and they fit on a 14" square. Do you think 4" will work? I'm trying to avoid cutting 20 blades to see how big they should be. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Anyone make a dresden block that fits on a 10" square?

I found this and according to it your plates should be 3" for the 10" square.

https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/showthread.php?t=1549
    Last edited by Monique; September 25th, 2019, 05:52 AM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Take a 10" square piece of fabric for your background and fold it in 4ths and crease the folds. Cut a few dresden blades and lay them on the square to see how they will fit. Remember you need some room around the outside of the dresdens for seams and a little for background.

drez4.jpg
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Perfect, exactly what I needed. 3" though, i might need to rethink the block size! thank you

Comment

That's lovely! and exactly what I want to try to make! thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post
            Take a 10" square piece of fabric for your background and fold it in 4ths and crease the folds. Cut a few dresden blades and lay them on the square to see how they will fit. Remember you need some room around the outside of the dresdens for seams and a little for background.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160726[/ATTACH]
            Barb, your quilt is beautiful. I love the scalloped border!
            Robin
            My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

When in doubt, you can always cut some from paper to experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Claire Hallman View Post
                When in doubt, you can always cut some from paper to experiment.
                Great idea, i didn't even think of that.

Comment

Barb, I am in love with your Dresden. Everything about that quilt is wonderful and that scalloped border is a WOWER!!!
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I’m sure you can search the Internet for
                    a pattern that will fit a 10 inch block.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubby View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]160726[/ATTACH]
                      I decided to just use a couple of charm packs so I'll need the 14" block. Jenny's tutorial is great and here is what mine is going to look like.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here's a great tutorial for making your own dresden plate template. I didn't want to spend the money on the ruler, so I experimented with making my own template. It works and I was glad because my math stinks! If you're dead set on using 10" squares for the background, maybe you can use these instructions and cut a practice template out of heavy card stock or thin plastic.

https://www.patchworkposse.com/make-...late-template/

Comment

I paper pieced my dresden. Found a free pattern for a 16-inch dresden, and I re-sized the paper 50% to print a pattern for an 8-inch dresden.

01.jpg

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
                          The Farmmyfarm

Comment

Working...
                          X