X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DonnaA127
    replied
    Re: Pinked Edges.....Grrrr

I just wish the manufacturers would just stop pinking the edges; I would rather deal with a little bit of raveling than having to measure and remember if I have to sew on the peak or in the valley to have accurate seams

Leave a comment:

• geegeequilts
    replied

Thanks for the info on the pinked edges. That's why I ask if I'm not sure about something.

Gina

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

I agree about some of the fabric combos on Jordan Fabrics. I'm not crazy about some of the fabrics they combine for their log cabin quilts. Sometimes they seem too "busy". I sure wish I could visit their quilt store. Just having a virtual tour from their videos makes me realize how much fabric they stock. On a rare occasion I have ordered fabric from them. That Abundance quilt with the Kaffe Fassett fabrics is on my bucket list. For internet shopping, M* is always my first choice if I can find what I'm looking for.

Leave a comment:

• Tracie T
    replied

Thanks all for your input. I learned now to always measure my precuts!

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

Originally posted by JCY View Post
    If you want JRs that don't have pinked edges, buy from Jordan Fabrics. Matt cuts a lot of what they sell.
    Matt cuts all sizes of precuts, all with straight edges!

Sometimes I wonder about the fabrics he pulls together though.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

If you want JRs that don't have pinked edges, buy from Jordan Fabrics. Matt cuts a lot of what they sell.

Leave a comment:

• midnightline
    replied

Edges are pinked to reduce unraveling. Certain fabrics are more prone than others, but cotton does still unravel. I have some 1.5" strips that were not pinked, and they unravel something awful.

FYI: digital prints are printed on a finer weave fabric and thus do not unravel nearly as much as traditional prints. I would expect batiks to be more stable for the same reason.

Leave a comment:

• geegeequilts
    replied

Yeah, but why are the edges pinked in the first place? Maybe I missed something. Love precuts but never have understood why they're not cut straight. Just wondering.

Gina

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

Originally posted by Bernina2 View Post
    Always buy yardage and cut your own
    quilt pieces. Problem solved.
    But, if you like all the variety of fabrics in a precut package, it would take a bit of money to buy all the different fabrics necessary to do it this way. To each his own and what works for one won't work for another. But I like the variety and convenience of precuts enough to put up with some pinked edges and occasional inconsistencies in how they are cut. For those who feel differently, then I agree that yardage is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

• Bernina2
    replied

Always buy yardage and cut your own
    quilt pieces. Problem solved.

Leave a comment:

• Suzette
    replied

I measure my precuts and see where the actual measurement (of say 5" for charm squares) lies - at the outer edge of the peaks or the inner part. This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and package to package. Heck, it even varies within the precut itself a lot of times. But, that determines whether I will use the peaks or valleys to match up to straight edges.

Frustrating, yes. But still there are advantages to precuts so I have learned to just go with it. If they are all pretty consistent I'm good to go. If they vary then I either just say close enough is good enough (which works perfectly fine for some patterns, less so for others) or I begin trimming them all to size.

Leave a comment:

• KPH
    replied

Donna Jordan, in a recent tutorial, placed the straight edged piece on top, centering it on the pinked edge. She used the straight edge for her 1/4" seam allowance.

I find it frustrating if you have pinked edges from two different manufacturers where one is pinked and the other is valley.

I guess the best advice, measure before you start working with your precuts. We've all had those, darned precut moments!

Leave a comment:

• ktdid
    replied

I always measure every precut, been there done that learning the hard way.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

Yes, those pinked edges can be a nuisance. I measure to see where I need to sew -- at the tips of the points or at the bottom of the groove, so my 1/4" seam comes out accurately. Also, keep your vac. handy to clean up the fuzz left behind. The black JRs were the worst.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

I feel your frustration.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X