Do you use different colors of batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use different colors of batting?

Okay, I know white is not a "color". I normally use off-white batting, but for quilts with white in the background, I use white batting. Do I really need to buy white and off-white? Will white work for all quilts? What do you do? Thanks.

Re: Do you use different colors of batting?

White should work for everything except the ones with really dark backgrounds, like navy or black. For those I buy black batting.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

I use white batting for quilts with a white background, black for really dark colors, and unbleached for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
        White should work for everything except the ones with really dark backgrounds, like navy or black. For those I buy black batting.
        Same here.

Comment

My norm is white batting for everything, although there have been exceptions. I do tend towards using brightly colored fabrics, not tan nor beige.

One thing I really like about Warm & White is that the bleaching process pre-shrinks the batting. I like a smoother look post-quilting, so I like batting that won't shrink after quilting. But these are personal preferences. In other words, if you like crinkly beige quilts, you should ignore my advice!
          Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Off white almost always. Like G.G. says, I like the "crinkly beige" look! I use a lot of off whites in my tops cut from unbleached muslin.

Comment

I have never noticed Black Batting at Jo-Anne's. When I read this comment, I had to look to see who sold Black Batting. I learned something today!!! YAY!
              garfield-relaxing.gif
              Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
              http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

I normally use beige batting. However I have bought white batting for quilts where the white fabric seemed thinner and i wanted a crisp white to show through. On one quilt that had a dark and a white side, I used both a white and a black batting. Beautiful. I also use just black batting for dark quilts.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Well golly, I have never given this much thought. Since I buy what's on sale, and tann-ish batting was recently on sale, that's what everybody is getting for the next 2 years. If they don't like it, then they aren't quilt-worthy.
                  I rarely use white, or black fabric, so I doubt it matters in 99% of my quilts.
                  Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Working...
                  X