Let's talk about quilting frames for machine quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about quilting frames for machine quilting

I've been doing some research on quilting frames for machine quilting. It's very confusing. I see mixed reviews so it's hard to know what's a really good frame for home quilting. Also the cost factor is important. Does anyone have a quilting frame? Do you have a longarm machine to use with it or are you using your home sewing machine. I'd love to hear what the quilters in our forum are using. Also, where would be a good place to go to see a number of the different frames and machines being put to use? I assume I would need to attend some sort of quilting show. Of course, being in London, I'm not ready to make the plunge but I'm hoping I might be able to get one in the future.
    Has anyone had any luck using their embroidery machine to quilt? I have a Janome Memorycraft 11000 here with me in London but I haven't tried using it to quilt yet.

Also, when working on a quilt like the star quilt in Jenny's new tutorial, what color thread would one use.? With the dark black background and the colorful stars, I'm not sure. I asked Jenny is she would show the "Amish quilt" to us after it's been quilted so we could see what color she used on the machine. Don't know if she'll have a chance to show it to us. We'll see.

Happy belated Mother's Day to all the Mom's in our Forum.

Rebecca
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Re: Let's talk about quilting frames for machine quilting

Hello!

I recently got a Tin Lizzie Queen Quilteer frame and long arm. I love it, unfortunately, I have been very busy and haven't been able to play with it near as much as I would like to. It was nicely affordable for a long arm system, about 6500 delivered and set up. I have quilted 4 baby quilts and 1 lap quilt so far. I got my quilter in March. I have a large top to quilt but wanted to do a few smaller ones first.

I do have an embroidery machine and I have used it for quilting. I loved how it turned out. It was fairly easy to do once you get it hooped.

Have fun!

Comment

Thanks, Karen. Keep me posted as you use your Tin Lizzie. How did you decide which system to purchase?

Rebecca

Comment

What Star quilt tutorial are you talking about? Sounds interesting.

Comment

If you go to u-tube Jenny has put up a new tutorial showing us how to make a star block with jellyroll strips. She uses a pack of kona solids and turns it into an Amish style quilt. If you're not familiar with those, the Amish love to make blocks with a black background that shows off bright solid fabrics. Really dramatic. Check out the tutorial on u-tube. I don't think she has it up on the MSQC website. That may be why you haven't seen it.

Comment

I have a 30 year old KENS QUILT FRAME and love love love it. the main thing to take into consideration when you purchase is the amount of room you have to available to 100% dedicate to the frame! When we moved we did not measure the space along what was to be my sewing room wall - My frame is 8" too long to go in the room so it lives in our front room!! LOL

The tutorial for the Star block is on the old version of the tutorials. I watched the other night and have already made up about 2 dozen of these blocks - so easy with jelly rolls strips! Thank You again Jenny! You rock!!
            Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
            hugs, Suzi
            http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
            it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know how to access the tutorial. It really looks like fun.

Comment

Working...
              X