machine embroidery on quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

machine embroidery on quilt

Hello. I would like to add machine embroidery to a small quilt I am making, but am unsure of the right process. I have my top finished and it is sandwiched with the batting (flannel) and the backing. I want to put a small embroidery in each corner and a larger one in the middle. I think that will be plenty of stitching to hold the quilt together, if it works. Would I still need stabilizer somewhere on or in the quilt? I think I'd use a 5x7 hoop and maybe a 4x4 hoop for the corners.
    Thanks for any help you can give. Much appreciated.

Re: machine embroidery on quilt

We have several in the group who do a lot of embroidery on quilts that are finished. I've embroidered blocks before putting them together in a quilt, but not after the quilt has been sandwiched. Grammaterry does a lot of this (I think.)

Comment

no, you do not need a stabilizer. It is called embossing and produces a lovely quilt. If you need designs embroiderylibrary.com has very reasonable priced ones.
      sigpic

Comment

No stabilizer needed if it's sandwiched. Not sure if I understand where you want your embroidery. Are you just putting a small embroidery in the top and bottom two corners of the quilt and one larger one in the center of the quilt? Depending on the size of the quilt it may not be enough to hold your batting, unless you are doing other quilting besides the embroideries.

I love embroidery on a quilt!
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

You may want to put the design on the quilt area first. Then add the batting and backing.
          The knots for machine embroidery aren’t attractive.

Comment

I use quilt block embroideries on my sandwiched quilts all the time. As was mentioned above, I also get mine from Embroidery Library. It's one of my favourite ways to quilt my quilts.

You don't need stabilizer as the sandwiched quilt is more than stable enough to embroider on. I place my embroideries fairly close together so that they look like they have been fmq'd since my free motion quilting is still not very good.
            Maria

Comment

My daughter quilts her entire quilt with machine embroidery and it's beautiful! I have done decorative embroidery in the negative spaces and then fmq the rest and also light embroidery all over. Batting is plenty to stabilize! Embroidery library has lots of simple quilting motifs that are fairly quick! Heavy embroidery takes lots of time . Fmq is faster for sure! I told my daughter I didn't know how she had the patience to heavily embroidery the whole quilt. We're talking an hour per 6 inch square. She replied that she's no good at fmq and any amount of time with perfect results was worth it to her. So, we're all different.
              Shriners would only have 3 quilts this year if I was going for near perfection...ha ha

Comment

I embroider blocks for crib/lap quilts all the time.
                Personally I would embroider before sandwiching
                your quilt. I’m not sure how well your design would
                Stitch with all your layers, it maybe too thick
                You may get some puckering.
                I always use a good thick stabilizer when I get embroider
                and use a spray adhesive to hold the stabilizer in place.

Comment

Are you using a quilting embroidery design? If so, you do not need to stabilize and your design will look nice on both sides. If you’re using a filled design or regular embroidery design the back of the quilt may not look nice. It will have the heavy bobbin stitches showing. I agree with the above posts about designs from embroiderylibrary.com. They have a nice selection of quilting blocks. I also bought a book and CD with quilting embroidery patterns and it has larger sizes for the bigger hoops and they give nice results on baby quilts.
                  Good luck! I’m sure it will be pretty when you’re finished!
                  Lisa

Comment

Lisa, what is the name of the book please?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LauraP View Post
                      Lisa, what is the name of the book please?
                      It might be this one. I have used the designs with success for quilting in the hoop.

http://www.ameliescott.com/welcome.html

Comment

It’s Edge to Edge Quilting by Amelie Scott Designs. I’ve used several of the designs on the CD and they stitched nicely. I used a thinner batting so the quilt wouldn’t be so thick in the hoop. I tried to upload a pic of the book but my phone won’t let me upload a picture.
                        Lisa

Comment

I have successfully embroidered a quilt sandwich using just the bottom section of the hoop with no stabilizer. I used binder clips from an office supply store to clip the sandwich in place. Be sure to clip away from the needle path, like at the 4 corners. I always tried to use a round design so all I had to do to center was find the middle of my block.

Comment

Working...
                          X