Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bias Question

2421f45789037930b3e8314f4dab2619.jpg

I'd like to make this from a layer cake, but that means the edges on those outside triangles will be bias edges. Would stay stitching before cutting the squares in half keep it from stretching, or is there no way to prevent that? Thanks!

I don't think I've ever made a quilt with bias on the outside of the quilt.

Re: Bias Question

Other than handling my finished quilt more carefully when folding etc before quilting I didn't have any issues when I made a quilt with biased edges. I know a lot of people suggest spray basting but I honestly didn't have any issues. I say jump in and find out!!
    I know there is strength in the differences between us. I know there is comfort, where we overlap. ~ Ani DiFranco

Comment

Stay stitching would be a good idea. Also do a real good starch before you stitch

Comment

I've done several on point, and stay stitched the bias edge, but BEFORE cutting that edge. Make a block, mark center and stitch as if it were HST, then cut the triangles. Just finished one.

000_0001.jpg
        TRUTH is seldom appreciated, unless you happen to agree with it. When you don't agree, you just call it rude.

Comment

I'd say add a border to it, even if you end up cutting the border off after you quilt it and it's all fully "stable". Another option would be to add a woven fusible like SF101 to those outside half-triangles.

Comment

I don’t have any advice but love the pattern.
            Do you mind sharing the name?

Comment

Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
              I'd say add a border to it, even if you end up cutting the border off after you quilt it and it's all fully "stable". . . .
              Yep. I've done that. The sides can still stretch as you 'stay' stitch them, but if you cut a border to the exact length, and pin it before sewing, your sides will stay the same.
              Pieced By Me! :icon_wave:

Pre-cut Yardage Chart

Comment

Originally posted by Devchdm View Post
                I don’t have any advice but love the pattern.
                Do you mind sharing the name?
                I'm sorry I don't have a name for the quilt. I was browsing online and found it on a website with bright colored quilts. I figured I'd just make half square triangle blocks that measure 9 inches finished (12 1/2 inches diagonal)...and add a circle to the center of each.

Comment

Starch is your friend. I also would add a border as someone else suggested.

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                    I'm sorry I don't have a name for the quilt. I was browsing online and found it on a website with bright colored quilts. I figured I'd just make half square triangle blocks that measure 9 inches finished (12 1/2 inches diagonal)...and add a circle to the center of each.
                    The pattern is called "True Colors" by Nancy Mahoney and is in her book, Simple Circles and Quick Curves. The E-book is available from Martingale and a few paperback editions are available on Amazon.
                    *~* Myrna *~*
                    *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Working...
                    X