Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size for baby quilt ??

Good afternoon,

I have finally cut and peiced the rows for a a baby quilt for my friend's niece. The only criteria was square blocks, colours, black, grey, white and turquoise - no baby animals or flowers. These are my fabrics, cut at 5 1/2" for finished block size 5". They did not indicate size, but they won't use in crib, probably on floor.

My options are :
    1---- 40 x 50 (8 columns x 10 rows)
    2 ----45 x 55. (9 columns x 11 rows)
    3 --- other.

Thanks for your input. your quick response appreciated as I hope to finish on Friday.

image.jpg image.jpg
    40 x 50 (8 columns, 10 rows)
    58.33%
    45 x 55 (9 columns, 11 rows)
    41.67%
    Other
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Re: Size for baby quilt ??

like the pictured 45 x 55 specially if using quilt other ways,
    nice arrangement x fabric x colours

Comment

I make my baby quilts 39" wide & 48-54" long. It depends on the pattern. I try to make the unfinished quilt width <39" so I don't have to piece the backing; I can use WOF in one length. Unless -- I don't have a long enough piece & have to piece it. If I have ~2" on either side, I have enough to quilt it. I usually leave 3" extra on either end.

Comment

If you do option one you don't have to piece the back so that's how I'd go
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
          I make my baby quilts 39" wide & 48-54" long. It depends on the pattern. I try to make the unfinished quilt width <39" so I don't have to piece the backing; I can use WOF in one length. Unless -- I don't have a long enough piece & have to piece it. If I have ~2" on either side, I have enough to quilt it. I usually leave 3" extra on either end.
          Seems we are like minded. I also figure a baby quilt (for a newborn) doesn't need to be very big, even if it's used for tummy time, it's not like they're going to crawl off it any time soon LOL. I also keep in mind, if the recipient is a special person in my life then I will be making several more for the child; as the child grows in size, so shall the quilts.

Comment

Yep. I would go with the 40 X 50 also. Batting crib size is 45 X 60. And as the others said, no piecing the backing either

Comment

What they said. My goal for baby quilts are unpieced back and crib size batting. Mine are usually 40 * 44ish

Comment

Suzanne, love the colors. I like the 40 X 50 size.

Gina

Comment

Working...
                X