Snail trail quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snail trail quilt

I am just starting on a quilt that uses Jenny’s Snail Trail quilt blocks as part of the overall pattern. This block starts as a 4 patch of 1 1/2” squares. I have a lot over lapping on the triangles which are added on the sides. (In Jenny’s video there is only a bit of overlap). The triangles seem to be way too big which makes me suspect the 4 patch is too small. all the blocks i’ve Done have ended up 7 1/2” instead of 8 “ and the pattern I’m doing this with requires 8” blocks. Any one sewn this’? A bit frustrated as my blocks are too small, Jenny’s tutorial seems to indicate they will be 8” but none are this size. I sure don’t want to run out of fabric! Any suggestions how to fix this?

Re: Snail trail quilt

I haven't made one. Someone may come along with more information but in my opinion, as long as ALL your blocks measure the same you should be okay and she does say that in the video.
    Last edited by Monique; June 24, 2019, 04:07 AM.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Have you checked your 1/4" seam allowance? The four patch unit should be 2.5" square when sewn. There are several seams in this block & a generous seam allowance will make a smaller block.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I'm confused. Are you using Jenny turorial or some other tutorial? Or a combination of two tutorials? Maybe my mind isn't working right.

Comment

I’m using Jenny’s tutorial. The quilt i’m Sewing has snail trail 8” blocks in between other blocks. I just can’t seem to get them to end up 8”. I am using 1/4” foot but maybe i’m Not accurate enough. I thought I was.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapdot View Post
            I’m using Jenny’s tutorial. The quilt i’m Sewing has snail trail 8” blocks in between other blocks. I just can’t seem to get them to end up 8”. I am using 1/4” foot but maybe i’m Not accurate enough. I thought I was.
            Try a scant 1/4" with a practice block to see if you come out at 8".
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

If you search the forum there are a couple of previous posts about this pattern. There were other posters that had questions about the method and finished sizes. Hope that helps!

Comment

Hmm. Never thought to search it on the forum. Sounds like everyone is having the same issue as me. I ‘m not sure what I will do as the blocks that go with the snail trail block are all 8” so it will be an issue . Any ideas? I may take the 4 patch and make it bigger and possibly the triangles.leaving on holidays so have a week to think about this.

Comment

You may be able to work out the block difference by using sashing strips.

Adjust the width of the sashing strips for the two different block sizes. It just might work. Good luck!

Comment

Your center 4 patches should measure 2 1/2 inches . Measure them before adding your triangles.

Comment

Making a four patch out of small squares (1 1/2" in this case) can be a challenge to finish at the required size. The pieces are small and tough to handle consistently. Hard to hold seam allowances and press- plus the loss of material to the stitching and pressing seams.

If you just can't get there using your methods, make the four patch larger than required and square up to the required size.
                      You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Originally posted by oldmanquilts View Post
                        Making a four patch out of small squares (1 1/2" in this case) can be a challenge to finish at the required size. The pieces are small and tough to handle consistently. Hard to hold seam allowances and press- plus the loss of material to the stitching and pressing seams.

If you just can't get there using your methods, make the four patch larger than required and square up to the required size.
                        I would do the same, make it larger and then cut to size. Much less stressful!!! Good luck!!!

Comment

There was a good bit of discussion about the snail trail video when it first came out, I remember something about the order one sewed on the white. A search offers this https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/sh...ht=snail+trail

Comment

Working...
                          X