Calling All Quilters!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Quilters!!

Hello everyone I actually have two questions...

First question I have is for the quilters that machine bind their quilts. How do you do it?? (lol!) I've only made one baby quilt and it was more of an experiment than anything else. I attempted to machine bind the quilt and it doesn't look bad, but I know it can look better. I understand how to attach the binding to the front side of the quilt, but I am lost on how to perfect it so that it doesn't show up so much on the front... hope that makes sense.

My other question is... I have yet to purchase a walking foot. Do I absolutely need it? The baby quilt I finished had very thin batting (I think) and I used my quilting foot. It seemed to turn out pretty good. However, the next quilt I'm starting is going to be about 5 times as big lol. I'm using 100% cotton fabrics and Mountain Mist quilt-light batting. It'll be really interesting because I'm planning on trying my hand at adding pictures to the quilt top as well.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!

Re: Calling All Quilters!!

Originally posted by cathys311 View Post
    Hello everyone I actually have two questions...

First question I have is for the quilters that machine bind their quilts. How do you do it?? (lol!) I've only made one baby quilt and it was more of an experiment than anything else. I attempted to machine bind the quilt and it doesn't look bad, but I know it can look better. I understand how to attach the binding to the front side of the quilt, but I am lost on how to perfect it so that it doesn't show up so much on the front... hope that makes sense.

My other question is... I have yet to purchase a walking foot. Do I absolutely need it? The baby quilt I finished had very thin batting (I think) and I used my quilting foot. It seemed to turn out pretty good. However, the next quilt I'm starting is going to be about 5 times as big lol. I'm using 100% cotton fabrics and Mountain Mist quilt-light batting. It'll be really interesting because I'm planning on trying my hand at adding pictures to the quilt top as well.

Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
    I would love to use the machine on binding. I just don't like the look. I still do it by hand. It's something I do while watching TV. I figure if I've spent that much time making something beautiful it's better to go the extra mile and hand stitch it on the back. As to the walking foot. Yes, yes, yes. I'm a seamstress by trade. I can't tell you how many times I've used that walking foot on projects, not even related to quilting, for my customers. For quilting, you don't know what your missing! Make the investment! Rebecca
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I only machine stitch my binding on one side. The other side I hand stitch.

What are you calling a quilting foot? The 1/4" seam foot? I'm confused
      Michele

Comment

Sorry shell... yes, my "quilting foot" is the 1/4" foot... it's referred to as a quilting foot in my sewing machine's manual so that's why I keep calling it that.

I don't think I'd be very good at finishing the binding by hand. I've watched the tutorial several times and I still can't figure out how to do it. I also have a condition that causes my hands (and feet) to sweat really bad, so holding onto a needle is almost impossible. I know ya'll didn't want to know that, but it's true. I never was big on hand sewing versus machine. I guess I will have to practice. I just want to make this next quilt as perfect as I can. It'll be my second one so I'm really nervous!!

I'm thinking I will go ahead and invest in the walking foot. Call me silly (or whatever else you'd like), but it's used just for quilting the sandwich right?

Comment

Hi Cathy,

The walking foot is mostly used when sewing sandwiched fabrics in quilting. However, I also use mine whenever I'm sewing fabric that shifts. For example, velvet and other specialty fabrics can be hard to work with. It wants to shift and feed unevenly. The walking foot does a great job of keeping the fabrics feeding in unison. I'll use mine when I'm sewing ruffles. It walks over those ruffles as I'm applying them to other fabric.

Most feet are designed for one purpose, but I don't hesitate to make use of them whenever I think I'll get a better result. For example, I just discovered that the joining foot works great to give me a really straight line of stitching when sewing a rolled hem. (I can't seem to master the rolled hem foot.) The little guide in the center of the foot glides along the edge of the hem and keeps me sewing it down in a very straight line. It also keeps me from accidentally sewing off the edge.

Don't hesitate to think outside the box, as they say. Experiment whenever you think there's a way to do something easier or better. Using scrap fabric allows stress free trial and error.

Good luck! Rebecca

Comment

I've never tried machine binding but there is a good tutorial here: http://www.redpepperquilts.com/2009/...-tutorial.html
            Quilting through the dull times
            northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Rebecca! I know that question probably seemed like a really stupid question, but I'm sooo new to all of this quilting business lol. I must admit, I'm in love with quilting! I ordered my walking foot yesterday so I'll have to practice with that. I have had the worst time trying to figure out how to get my darning/free motion foot to work. It's been a really long time since I've used a sewing machine and my patience only goes so far lol.

Thanks jrchapman for the link. I will definitely check that out. I've seen a few tutorials on youtube, but they just don't compare to Jenny's!!

Comment

Thanks Rebecca! I know that question probably seemed like a really stupid question, but I'm sooo new to all of this quilting business lol. I must admit, I'm in love with quilting! I ordered my walking foot yesterday so I'll have to practice with that. I have had the worst time trying to figure out how to get my darning/free motion foot to work. It's been a really long time since I've used a sewing machine and my patience only goes so far lol.

Thanks jrchapman for the link. I will definitely check that out. I've seen a few tutorials on youtube, but they just don't compare to Jenny's!!
                No need for apologies, Cathy. As far as I'm concerned, no question is a stupid question. Asking questions is how we learn. Are you trying to use the darning foot for free motion quilting? I'm practising but not very good at it. If so, what problems are you having.? I've spent a lot of time on Day Style Designs website. Leah makes free motion quilting look sooooo easy. If you haven't done so already, check it out. I'm trying to get up the courage to use my embroidery machine to do the quilting. Of course, a longarm quilting machine would be a dream come true, right? In fact, I may ask the forum if anyone has experience using the embroidery machine for quilting. I could use all the tips I can muster before getting started. LOL Rebecca

Comment

No need for apologies, Cathy. As far as I'm concerned, no question is a stupid question. Asking questions is how we learn. Are you trying to use the darning foot for free motion quilting? I'm practising but not very good at it. If so, what problems are you having.? I've spent a lot of time on Day Style Designs website. Leah makes free motion quilting look sooooo easy. If you haven't done so already, check it out. I'm trying to get up the courage to use my embroidery machine to do the quilting. Of course, a longarm quilting machine would be a dream come true, right? In fact, I may ask the forum if anyone has experience using the embroidery machine for quilting. I could use all the tips I can muster before getting started. LOL Rebecca

Comment

It's scary starting something new... I'm still in the nervous phase of quilting lol! You are right about the longarm!

One small little question I have about the walking foot... in my machine's manual, it says that the walking foot is not for reverse stitching... does this include backstitching? I assume it does, but I'm not sure. And how else would you secure the stitches..? I'm so confused lol.

Comment

When machine binding a quilt, machine sew the binding to the back of the quilt first, so you have more control of how it looks on the front. Use lots of pins, too, but take them out just before you sew over them. This should help.

When using a walking foot, you can secure the stitches by taking several stitches in place (some machines have button for this, and for some, just change your stitch length to zero) and then you don't have to backstitch.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Helps ALOT!!! Thanks Alphabetty!

What stitch length do you use to quilt? I keep mine between 2 and 2.5, but it looks so much smaller than some images I see online and in books.

Comment

Working...
                        X