Top thread breaks when free motion quilting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top thread breaks when free motion quilting

during free motion on my juki the top thread breaks or shreds when i move to the side..I have done everything from re-threading,changing the needle, adjust the tension..what else am I overlooking?

Re: Top thread breaks when free motion quilting

Try to reduce your top tension and use a bigger needle [16 or 18]. You might need to slow down as you head west/north/west and you may need to speed up around curves.

Comment

Have you waxed your quilting surface? Are you using a Supreme Slider to help with the movement of the quilt sandwich under the needle? Are you using the same thread on top as in the bobbin? The needle should be at least a 90-14. I use Topstitch. It has a larger eye for the thread to pass through. What weight thread are you using? Sometimes the pressure of the presser foot needs to be adjusted.

Comment

I use the sew slip multi purpose sheet that I purchased from MS,is there a better one? same thread top and bobbin...needle is 90-14 what brand do you use? I use 50wt thread usually aurifil and I drop the pressure to 0

Comment

Thank you Claire...I will give it a try

Comment

Make sure your bobbin case and area are clean, too. Also, did you try using another bobbin?
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
            “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Lint will surely cause it, but it may be yourspeed or , my first thought would be drag from your quilt. Some threads just won't FMQ so try a different spool.
              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
              Terry

Comment

first check the bobbin thread is routed correctly,
                (me old machine has a mischief moment or re routing while sewing, yup its asking to be pampered)

try winding a bobbin,
                pop on spool pin where would normally put your upper thread, see if it free motions, if free motion works its the tension your thread creates coming of its reel / cone, i.e its grabbing altering your tension while sewing.

do you have a bit of felt on spool pin this acts as a brake with the spool cap, stops the thread reel from turning giving a more even feed
                rather than the grab yank loose grab yank loose ect. that's hard to spot while watching fingers / needle safety

is your machine able to zigzag if so alter your width setting so needle in a different position

(I use cone of thread and found it impossible to put on spool pin on singer 201 treadle )
                to resolve that problem have enjoyed the contents over time of a large plastic bottle of Ribena, modified it so thread sits inside and comes out top of cap the thread then travels through a the small hole in a bobbin on spool pin through a safety pin to then normal thread route on machine. the thread going straight up causes less grabbing, in my issue

or you could just wind a lot of bobbins if you find that works with the thread you are using.
                good luck. tweaking the settings can take time.

Comment

thank you 201 threadler..Ill give it a try

Comment

thank you grammaterry.

Comment

Sometimes I have to change to a Jeans needle when I fmq on my Juki. I don't know why but it works. Good luck

Comment

Working...
                      X