backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backing

I use Quilters Paradise to determine how much backing I will need but I always seem to end up with a lot more than is actually needed. Does anyone else have a recommendation or suggestion.
    Thank you.

Re: backing

I've never heard of Quilters Paradise. I just lay out my quilt top on the floor & measure it. I add 3" to all sides for backing. However, if I'm sending it out to a LA quilter, they usually require a lot more. All that left over fabric works great for future projects. Be sure to save it. Sometimes there will be enough for the binding. I also save the batting strips, which can be sewn together for smaller projects.

Comment

I always buy extra backing... I use it for my bindings, and it's great for matching pillow cases for my prop up pillows.
      Katrina
      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Robert Kaufman has a free app calculator that is pretty good. I don't have storage for backing ydg so when I finish a quilt top I just take it to Joann's they lay it out on the cutting table. I tell them how much overage I want and they cut a piece to fit. I live near an older smaller store that is usually not busy and the ladies are always very nice about it, and seem to enjoy seeing my quilt tops when I bring them in.

Comment

http://www.aqsblog.com/quilt-back-ma...ontent=onpoint
          sigpic

Comment

I have used the Robert Kaufman /Quilters Paradise app for years and have found it to be spot on.
            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Originally posted by Claudiaj View Post
              I use Quilters Paradise to determine how much backing I will need but I always seem to end up with a lot more than is actually needed. Does anyone else have a recommendation or suggestion.
              Thank you.
              QP calculates based on the back being pieced from standard width yardage with one seam. Their calculation is pretty close. Now... if you are taking their calculation and buying that much wide backing you are going to have a bunch of extra.
              You gots to risk it to gets the biscuit-

Comment

Working...
              X