• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bubby
    Missouri Star
    • Jun 2011

Re: Fudge it

In the words of the wonderful Jenny Doan...."Finished is better than perfect."
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Gloriana
      Prairie Pointer
      • Aug 2016

When I was first teaching myself quilting, watching videos and reading books, I started off small (like one 9 patch small), making myself rip out seams, sandwich, then quilt, then bind. Practice practice. I learned what works best for me (pin every single bleeping seam) and I’ve gotten better. I don’t have to pin as much anymore, and I’m not so hard on myself, either. No one cares except me.

Although I admit that if I’m sewing a row together and seams don’t match more than half the time, I’ll rip it out. I just look at it as practice. I’m not going for heirloom quality quilting here, but I’m still picky. I blame all those dadburned spreadsheets I had to work on. How can I be off by one dollar? Yeh, no, retired.

Comment

• gmpintos
        Rotary Pro
        • Jan 2019

Thank you ladies, I can feel much more comfortable with fudging and blessed that I know how.

Comment

• GuitarGramma
          Missouri Star
          • Apr 2012

When I was a new quilter, I didn't even know that point ought not extend into the seam allowance and the corners of squares ought to touch each other. My quilts have improved to the point that my husband has even noticed. And I did fuss recently over a Jinny Beyer mitered border. But my attitude is, I do what I can do, I fix what I can fix (that Jinny Beyer top, pieced by a group of volunteers, definitely had to be fixed!), and then I live with it.

Now I know to say, "I like fudge!"
          Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• dwil23
            Missouri Star
            • May 2012

I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I am a bit OCD on seams matching and will keep working at it until it is at least "better". I usually find if seams are matching and then suddenly don't, there is often a seam before the mismatch that isn't "right" - often the bottom fabric has slipped and the seam allowance is off. Usually going back a block and finding/fixing that will help with your next seams. The girls I sew with think I am crazy but I kind of enjoy the challenge to make it work. I do know I need to be a little less picky as it does take up valuable sewing time.
            Donna

Comment

• The_Last_Unicorn
              Batting Beauty
              • May 2016

dwil23 - I can relate. I enjoy trying to cut, seam, press and trim as accurately as I can, improving my craftsmanship as I learn from books and videos. I am lazy when it comes to borders...I know you're supposed to measure 3+ areas to get the average width and length, cut the borders to that length, pin and ease...but by the time I get there I am so ready to finish the top and move on to the next. I use the Jordan Fabric's method of sewing the borders on and then trimming the excess. As long as you are not stretching the quilt top or the border as you sew, in theory you should be fine. I've lucked out so far.

Comment

• MRoy
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by The_Last_Unicorn View Post
                dwil23 - I am lazy when it comes to borders...I know you're supposed to measure 3+ areas to get the average width and length, cut the borders to that length, pin and ease...but by the time I get there I am so ready to finish the top and move on to the next. I use the Jordan Fabric's method of sewing the borders on and then trimming the excess. As long as you are not stretching the quilt top or the border as you sew, in theory you should be fine. I've lucked out so far.
                I use the Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville.com) no measure method for borders. Lay the border strips across the middle of the quilt top lengthwise and crosswise, smooth out the quilt top and the border strips without stretching and cut the strips at both ends to match the length/width of the quilt top. So far, it's worked every time for me.
                *~* Myrna *~*
                *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

• giig21
                  The Guild President
                  • Feb 2014

Amen to that. Lol
                  Gary,

"No regrets, only learning opportunities."

Comment

Working...