Changing the Disappearing 9 patch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the Disappearing 9 patch?

Do you think the Disappearing Nine Patch could be made with a layer cake instead of 2 charm packs? It would be larger blocks of course. I just got this in my mind and wondered if anyone had tried it?
    Thanks!
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Re: Changing the Disappearing 9 patch?

I've just seen a version of this in a magazine and it looked really good. They'd used 8x8 blocks so I assume 10x10 would work just as well. I think it'd be lovely with large patterns.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

now that i know exactly how to make the block - i would say - YES - you can make with any and all sized squares

you make a 9 patch block and then quarter it and rotate the pieces - sew them all back together and whala! disappearing 9 patch!
      Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
      hugs, Suzi
      http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
      it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

Thanks pd and jr! I am going to try it soon and see what I think of it.
        Patti
        "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

My favorite quilt shop owner did the disappearing nine patch with a layer cake or 2 and it looked great. She said it went together REAL fast. GO FOR IT.

Comment

Yup. We actually made one (to donate) for our high school band (in school colors of course) and it turned out great!

I'd also love to see one with tiny nine patches....wouldn't that be cute. ( a LOT of work...but still cute!)

I can't wait to see what you end up doing. Post pics when you are done!!

Comment

Sewhot - Were you able to do it with one layer cake??
              Patti

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
                Do you think the Disappearing Nine Patch could be made with a layer cake instead of 2 charm packs? It would be larger blocks of course. I just got this in my mind and wondered if anyone had tried it?
                Thanks!
                I'd love to see a picture of the finished quilt top! This is one of my favorite patterns, the one I go to when I need some quick, but really beautiful. I've used charm pack squares and also six-inch blocks that I cut from my stash. Seems like even bigger squares would offer some great spots for showing off a lovely quilting design.

Comment

I made this disappearing nine patch with six inch squares. I think it would work with 10 inch squares. If you lay it out, you can easily get a sense of the size of the squares and how they will look.

Sharon

PS.......This pattern was SO much fun to do and so easy too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bassie thank you so much for the pic of your D9P. It gives me a good idea of how it will look with larger squares. Your quilt is beautiful, I love that fabric line!
                    patti
                    Patti

Comment

Working...
                    X