Need help cutting yardage please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help cutting yardage please

Hello, I need to cut nearly 3 yards of fabric into strips. It is both too wide and too long for my cutting board by far. Can someone please suggest a good tutorial for the best method of squaring up and cutting yardage? I'm a newbie to quilting and have only used smaller cuts until now. Bit scared of the yardage and would like to see someone do it. Thanks.

Re: Need help cutting yardage please

I usually fold long yardage in half, lining up the fabric with the lines on the mat. Then make a clean cut to have a straight cut. Then I use the lines on the ruler to make my strips.
    Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Comment

same way I do it.
      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
      Terry

Comment

I would tear the fabrics with the grain. You will get perfect strips the full length of three yards.
        Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

This may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoBKOv3Azzw
          Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

Welcome to MSQC Moira!
            I have this video in my quilting tutorials and when I first started quilting I did use this method...it's a great method to learn!

Originally posted by chelea View Post
            Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
            http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"

Comment

Originally posted by Deegles View Post
              I would tear the fabrics with the grain. You will get perfect strips the full length of three yards.
              Tearing fabric does not always work because some bolts aren't wrapped straight at the manufacturer, they're wonky. How do I know cause after I tore it to make it straight I was off by almost 6" when folded in half, OUCH!

Comment

I clear off my cutting table so the fabric can fall off the edges neatly. I fold it in half like it comes off the bolt. Then get my longest ruler and start cutting and scooting the fabric, then cutting and scooting the fabric until I have cut it length wise. I like to do this for borders especially if the fabric has a pretty border print. If it does have a pretty border print, then I don't fold it, I just cut a single layer at a time.
                Vonnie

Comment

If it makes it easier for you, you can cut your yardage into 1 yd. cuts for easier handling. That way you don't have the drag of the fabric over the edges of the table. I have never ripped fabric -- always use the ruler & a rotary cutter for a clean edge. Welcome to the world of quilters.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I watched the tutorial, took a big breathe, folded the material and made the cuts. Worked out great. This is my 3rd quilt and finally all my blocks are the right size so far and my quarter inch seam is finally consistent. I always used pre cuts before but I don't always like every fabric in a selection. I think I like the idea of yardage better so I can choose every fabric. I get more confident each time I get the hang of something else.
                    Last edited by Moira2109; April 21, 2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chelea View Post
                      Thanks for the post. Learned a few tricks.

Comment

I just want to remind everyone that when you buy precuts, they are rarely cut on the straight of the grain. Sometimes they are really wonky. So if it is OK to use these in a pieced top, in which you have cut these small pieces into even smaller pieces, you probably aren't going to mess up your yardage to where you can't use it in a pieced quilt.
                        Now, I agree that it is easy to cut a strip to where it is kind of jack-legged, zig-zagged, so I suggest you cut the first one, then unfold it to see if it is straight. If not, square up and try it again.

Comment

Thanks Chelea! This was a great video tutorial!
                          Bloom where you are planted.....

Comment

Working...
                          X