odd question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd question

I have a very odd question. My great niece is having a baby in August and her theme is Harry Potter. Personally I think the fabrics are not very attractive, but hey what do I know!!! Anyway - I have about a yard of a very busy print - sorta of different shaped and sizes of squares with all sorts of different harry potter things in each block, lots of primary colors - almost like a comic strip.

So my odd question - can I simply square the yardage up and add complementary borders and still call it a quilt. Somehow it feels like I cheated if I don't make a bunch of blocks and piece them together. But I just don't think cutting this fabric up and trying to piece it into something recognizable as Harry Potter is going to be difficult.

Re: odd question

Absolutely....good idea.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Of course you can. After all, haven't many of us used Panels to make a quilt top?

But if you feel you're cheating, then you could always make a simple pieced top, and use the Harry Potter fabric as backing.

Comment

I see no reason why you can't. It doesn't have to be difficult to be a quilt.

Comment

Absolutely! I have some fabric I plan to use in the same way. If you add a border, it still will be "pieced"! Go for it.

Comment

I don't knowany other way to do a panel.

Comment

Sure, why not? Maybe you can quilt it with lightning, wizard hats, etc. I would keep it simple
              “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I agree with the suggestions above. If you feel you must do some piecing, why not cut squares of the busy fabric and sash them with coordinating solids? I'm sure your niece will love you for making her a quilt of any kind!

Comment

Just throwing it out there...there's a Harry Potter quilt along ...free ....going on right now maybe you could add a special block on the back or on the quilt. My daughter and son love Harry Potter so I'm doing the whole quilt https://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.com/...along.html?m=1

Comment

I think it is a perfect idea! You could back it with a super soft flannel for the baby. The Mom could use it for"tummy time" on the floor. That phrase is a new one to me, I just put my baby on a pallet on the floor when I was busy. But then my baby is almost 50! Times do change!!!

Comment

If I make a baby quilt for someone I don't necessarily follow the theme. That baby isn't going to be in that room 24/7 so I figure what difference does it make what the quilt looks like. They can stick it in the car or the diaper bag for them to use while they are out.
                      Good luck on your quilt.

Comment

You could also do something like this:

https://www.quiltvine.com/shop/Patte...-x26167297.htm

Pick out a couple coordinating solids and use the fabric you have as the main piece in the middle.
                        Debbie

Comment

Thanks for all the great ideas. I also had some great input from another niece of mine who is a huge Harry Potter fan. So needless to say I now have a bunch of ideas floating around in my head for this baby quilt. I'll be sure to post a pic when I get it done.

Comment

Working...
                          X