X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lots2do
    replied
    Re: How Would You Fix This?

Yes, you're absolutely right to fix the problem. A quilt to cuddle under in the family room is different from a fundraiser that'll also represent your organization.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

Originally posted by AMG View Post
    It is a gorgeous pattern, I can completely see why you'd want to correct it. I certainly don't envy you that chore though!
    Thanks, AMG. With Tax Day looming, I haven't gotten started on the pick & repair. Hopefully I'll find time next week!

Leave a comment:

• AMG
    replied

It is a gorgeous pattern, I can completely see why you'd want to correct it. I certainly don't envy you that chore though!

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

Thank you, all for chiming in. I hope you'll believe me that I absolutely have to change these two blocks. The pattern is Jinny Beyer's Echoes, and you have to see the circles form. These twisted blocks interrupt the circle, especially on the darkest fabrics.
    QueenImage.JPG

This isn't a quilt for me, it's for a fundraiser. I can't find it in my heart to leave these "pattern breakers" in when someone has paid a great deal for a quilt.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, including "let it be." Quite frankly, that's a lesson I need to learn in general, but I can't start the lesson until I'm done with this quilt.

Thank you for the tips on how to pick out the stitches. That's the way to go, and I can see a clear pathway to fixing these blocks.

Leave a comment:

• Preeti
    replied

Imperfections make the quilt. It is not a problem that I would fix, if it was my quilt.

Leave a comment:

• Claire Hallman
    replied

I have had the sameish problem recently and picked out the quilting and two blocks that were switched. It took me 4 hours while watching TV and hopefully won't take nearly that long to redo it. I know it would have made me crazy to leave it.
    IMG_0672.JPG
    I am swapping that purple and the pinkish blocks near the top left corner.
    Last edited by Claire Hallman; April 10, 2019, 08:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MissMay in Jersey
    replied

I would leave them alone.

Leave a comment:

• bubba
    replied

I sewed a four patch wrong in the middle of a quilt. I picked out that four patch and put it back in the right way. It would have made me crazy!

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

It will all work out and you will do a beautiful job

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    replied

Thank you all! Your ideas solidify the direction I was most strongly considering.

Today, I finish our taxes. Tomorrow, I pull out my seam picker!!!

Leave a comment:

• DeniseSm
    replied

You don't have to rip apart the entire block. Just rip out the center block going approx 1" past the end of each seam. Then rotate the block to the correct position and sew it back in like you are doing an interrupted seam. Set your stitch length a little lower than normal at approx 2.25. It is not fun but it is not gruesome either. You can do this.

Leave a comment:

• MHG Winnower
    replied

I can't tell if it's been quilted or not. If not, you can open the seams and turn it and hand stitch it in.
    You know the old Amish myth - The Amish made mistakes in their quilts on purpose because “only God is perfect.”. Never mind that Amish quilters have strongly denied this custom. Quilt historians are a careful bunch, and they take unproven claims very seriously. If I were you, I would stay on that galloping horse! Leave both as they are as a design element. It's beautiful.

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

I hate to say, but I would pick it apart.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarGramma
    started a topic How Would You Fix This?

How Would You Fix This?

On our group charity quilt, we've found two quarter square triangles that were sewn in wrong.

HPIM0942.JPG The center of this nine patch should have been 1/4 turn to the right.

HPIM0941.JPG This center is upside down.

While I fully subscribe to the theory that if you can't see it as you ride by on a galloping horse, these problems really do stand out to me and ruin the flow of the quilt.

What suggestions do you have for fixing these? One is in an edge block, but one is smack dab in the middle of a section.
Working...
X