X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfergirl
    replied
    Re: Wilmington Reds and bleeding

I go along with Gina, if enough people would complain to the manufacturer maybe they would do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• JCY
    replied

One of the members of my quilt guild has been making only red & white quilts lately. She pre-washes all her fabrics.

Leave a comment:

• geegeequilts
    replied

I love red in quilts but haven't used any yet because of the possibility of bleeding. Simple question for fabric manufacturers:

MAKE THE RED FABRIC BLEED PROOF.

How hard can that be?

Gina

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Well I did the soak in plain hot water test on the Wilm Reds and after an hour the water looks like cherry kool aid. I am rethinking the red altogether and going with blue instead, yardage I have used before and know it will not run. I dont have either Retayne or Synthrapol in my house and don't know where to get it (have never used either one). Don't have oxyclean either. I guess I am not prepared for a quilting emergency!
    I didn't have OxiClean either but I went out and got some for quilting fabrics only. It was that or live with a king-size quilt that I felt was ruined. I have seen the other products, Retayne & Synthropol, at my LQS and on-line but have not bought.

I would resoak the red fabric again. It will probably come out clear. And it should be safe after that.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied

Well I did the soak in plain hot water test on the Wilm Reds and after an hour the water looks like cherry kool aid. I am rethinking the red altogether and going with blue instead, yardage I have used before and know it will not run. I dont have either Retayne or Synthrapol in my house and don't know where to get it (have never used either one). Don't have oxyclean either. I guess I am not prepared for a quilting emergency!
    Last edited by jjkaiser; February 5, 2019, 10:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Snip Snip
    replied

Oh oh, I am in the process of making a quilt with Wilmington reds and cream prints. Should I use color catchers in addition to Retayne?

Leave a comment:

• SuzanneOrleansOntario
    replied

Ohhhh. The red backing that I had bleed recently through my quilt was Wilmington backing. I know that the rule is not to wash strips, but I would in this case. Unfortunately I found out after I washed it, even though I prewashed it before sewing. It kept on bleeding.

I suggest washing the strips by hand in a sink with hot water and Oxiclean and Dawn. You might have to do this several times until your water is clear. Then on last wash, I would add Retayne.

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

I don't understand either. I never prewash and I'm not having any problems with bleeding.

Leave a comment:

• grammaterry
    replied

I don't understand why we are having bleeding problems with our fabric. I don't have bleeding problems with new clothing that I purchase and I know they are not soaking the fabric in solutions. Why do you think this is.?

Leave a comment:

• auntstuff
    replied

Use the retayne. The vinegar and salt thing doesn't work on modern dyes.

Leave a comment:

• nativetexan
    replied

using Retayne to keep the color in works well.

Leave a comment:

• Stitches23
    replied

Oh bleeding reds (or any color for that matter) is no fun. No fun at all. I think I would try to soak as many strips as necessary in a solution of vinegar and salt to maybe help set the dye and then gently rinse in a sink until no more red dye ran out when squeezed. I would hang to dry (to prevent fraying) and iron. Use as normal.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    started a topic Wilmington Reds and bleeding

Wilmington Reds and bleeding

I have 40 strips of assorted Wilm Reds. The fabric feels wonderful, smooth and soft. I wanted to use them for binding a quilt with a cream border but worry about bleeding. I ironed a few strips and used Best Press where the main fold was, and it made a pink spot on my ironing board cover. The quilt is for a boy and so a pink border would not cut it. What would you do?
Working...
X