X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions on how to make this a square block

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
    It’s a really flimsy jersey fabric will it fray?? I have stabilized it also
    If you the ultrahold heat'n bond and take a light weight cotton foundation piece, bond the mountains, then bond the t-shirt image. I don't think it will go anywhere. Test it out with a scrap of the shirt and then test out sewing over it (if you are machine quilting). I'd still recommend stitching the edges of the mountains and t-shirt cutout. I haven't had any challenges with separation when I've used this method. But I do encourage you to do a test run; wash it in hot water, dryer, etc. Basically beat up the test piece first.
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

Comment

Can you add another design from another complimentary shirt where the neck hole is and then square it up? Lots of times there are small designs in the backs of the shirts that might fit. Then topstitch the green piece over the new. That way it doesn't look so much like an oops but as a clever way to design and add another element.

Comment

Originally posted by MHG Winnower View Post
        If you the ultrahold heat'n bond and take a light weight cotton foundation piece, bond the mountains, then bond the t-shirt image. I don't think it will go anywhere. Test it out with a scrap of the shirt and then test out sewing over it (if you are machine quilting). I'd still recommend stitching the edges of the mountains and t-shirt cutout. I haven't had any challenges with separation when I've used this method. But I do encourage you to do a test run; wash it in hot water, dryer, etc. Basically beat up the test piece first.
        Ok will try in a small piece and test it out. Thanks for the help.
        sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Originally posted by LLLinda View Post
          Can you add another design from another complimentary shirt where the neck hole is and then square it up? Lots of times there are small designs in the backs of the shirts that might fit. Then topstitch the green piece over the new. That way it doesn't look so much like an oops but as a clever way to design and add another element.
          Wow never thought if that one gonna see if there’s anything small enough to fit in the area. Thanks
          sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Thanks going to try all the suggestions one by one and see which one works. I don’t want to loose any of this beautiful shirt.
            sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

I watched a T-shirt quilt YouTube tute from Laura Coia at Sew Very Easy where she addressed what to do in your situation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNrBz0Jz_nY

Comment

Not sure if you've figured it out yet, but I'd fuse this to SF101, cut a straight line at a diagonal as close as you can get to the neck hole, then fuse another piece of the same shirt (backing should be plenty or you can use what you cut off from the left) to sew onto that diagonal edge and "complete" a square shape. Yes, it'll have a seam, but it should be pretty inconspicuous and from a few feet away it'll just look like one whole shirt front.

Comment

Working...
                X